1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PS3 to 2500FPW Dell monitor.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by hammahead, Apr 28, 2007.

1. hammahead

hammahead Member

Hi

i need help connecting my 2500FPW dell 20.1 inch wide screen to my PS3...I have been googling for a while now and I found out that I can use DVI cables to connect it to the dell... i've been using the composite one and the graphic quality is horrible. also...how do I know which picture quality my monitor supports? 1080p ? or 740p....It's max resolution is 1680 by 1020. If i make it 1920x1080 it still supports it but the "size" remains the same...I mean it's sorta scrollable. If i move my mouse to the sides the screen kinda scrolls to that side. I mean it shows that many pixels but doesn't zoom out so that everything fits on the screen. Maybe drivers can fix this? Or my monitor simply doesn't support it? I remember it was like this for 1680x1020 too until i installed proper drivers!

Thanks for any help!

2. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

Your monitor doesn't support 1920x1080 resolution. Sorry =/ no 1080P for you. Best you can do is 1080i/720p. You need an adapter, DVI to HDMI. Plug your console in HDMI to your monitor's DVI port. Tell your PS3 that you're connected via HDMI for video, but not for audio. This will only work for video games however. Blue Ray discs require the use of HDCP which will only work when plugged into another HDCP supporting device. Your monitor doesn't support HDCP through DVI. Sorry =(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. hammahead

hammahead Member

I plugged it in through HDMI-to-DVI cable and all i get is a blank black screen. It is also connected through composite...so at first it loads the composite and tells me that it detected HDMI and whether i would like to use that, after i press yes, composite goes into No-Signal and DVI becomes blank. Any ideas why or how to fix? Also how can i get the sound?

4. hammahead

hammahead Member

5. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

Your monitor doesn't have speakers, so you'll need to hook the audio out of the PS3 to a receiver, or some PC speakers or something. When you tell it to turn on HDMI, make sure you tell it to do 720P for resolution, as your monitor won't accept 1080P. I'd also recommend memorizing what button you have to hit to switch it to HDMI, and then change the Monitor to your DVI port before you hit accept on use HDMI option. That way you are already on the correct setting, and can respond to the questionaire before it times out and defaults back to composite.

6. hammahead

hammahead Member

Yea but i am not getting a picture from the HDMI-DVI connection. It's pitch black.