1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PS3 to Logitech 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Audio' started by LDee, Apr 19, 2012.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

Need to connect a PS3 (by it's optical or HDMI out) to a set of Logitech Z506 5.1 surround speakers (if possible).

Obviously I'm looking for true 5.1 sound without it being mixed or messed about with by the logitech unit. I know these speakers are designed for use with PC's, and in which case you can just hook them straight up with 3 x 3.5mm jacks, and you should get true 5.1 I think (as long as your sound card/audio interface does 5.1 and has the relevant outs).

But is there a way to hook up devices like playstations with optical or HDMI audio outs to these kind of speaker systems? For instance, an optical out cable that goes to 3 x 3.5mm stereo jacks (whilst doing the digital to analogue conversion somewhere along the line)? Or a HDMI cable that gives the video signal out normally but splits the audio out to 3 x 3.5mm jacks? Or some sort of box or converter that I can connect in line that can sort this out? I know this is a lot to ask for.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Here is the back of the Logitech unit showing all the ins and outs:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks very much for the link but that device mixes up 2 stereo channels to 5.1 (ie, fake 5.1) or if the original signal is true 5.1 it drops 4 of the channels and mixes the remaining stereo up to 5.1, again fake.

Getting closer though, there must be something that takes the original 6 channels and outputs them as is (don't need anything decoded really, already been done in the PS3) but in analogue.. ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012