1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PS3 to Monitor

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Grampaw, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I know nothing about gameboxes - however my 8 yr old grandson is coming to visit. He has an X-Box 360 at his house which he about lives in front of.

I've been planning to get a PS3 since it has a Blu-ray drive, to watch High Def DVDs. First though, I waiting to get that big screen LCD TV with several HDMI connections. However, I'm not ready yet to make the big buck TV choice plunge.

Since my grandson is coming in two weeks, it just dawned on me. Couldn't I just get the PS3 now and connect it via video component connections to my 24" WS Dell monitor (which has DVI, S-Video, component, composite inputs) and then have 1080p resolution for games? Apparently Sony has available a PS3 cable with component video and stereo RCA audio (which I'd connect to headphones).

Would this work? My grandson would in 7th heaven if it did.

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

Your other option is an HDMI (from PS3) to DVI (to monitor) connection. There are inexpensive but reliable HDMI to DVI cables out there. This will work if your Dell widescreen is HDCP compliant. I think all of the late-model Dell widescreens are HDCP compliant. If you do this you'll still have to connect the A/V cable to the PS3 for sound - the red and white RCA cables. Either way should be fine.

Your grandson is lucky to have you as a grandpa.

3. BoomerET

BoomerET Member

I use HDMI->DVI for the video, then use the RCA component cables from my old PS2 for sound. (or you could use optical, or even normal PS2 RCA) for the sound.

Since you said your Dell monitor has component, you could just go that route.

Now for the 1080p, I suppose your monitor supports it, but more than likely it's 720p.

(If your monitor maxes out at 1440x900, it will only do 720p, not 1080p).

1080i is another ballgame, I don't do i's.

Wheels

4. eurojon

eurojon Member

yeah u cant broadcast it in 1080p...

but then again...most ps3 games are broadcasted in 720p i have a samsung 940bw widescreen and i cant go as high as 1080p for my ps3...but the picture is far better i think than the hdtv cuz its not pixely

5. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Just to follow up - The Dell monitor I have is not HDCP compliant. So I bailed on this idea. I want 1080P.

What I did do is get a 1080P 47" LCD TV along with the PS3. Rented a few games, and my grandson was in seventh heaven the whole time he visited - even got me playing with him although I have no clue what I was doing.

Then since I liked the Blu-ray HD movies so much, in a weak moment, I also got the Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player so I could also watch the HD-DVD HD movies. And then there's the Time Warner digital cable box with the 160 GB hard drive.

I guess if you're going to take the HD plunge, you may as well go all the way...

6. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

my samsung monitor can play 1080p, but kinda impractical for being only a 19" ws

7. Footie979

Footie979 Member

8. Davidgo

Davidgo Guest

thats tight