1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Xbox Live Help!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by keith182, Apr 18, 2007.

1. keith182

keith182 Member

Alright so right now I have my live set up like this:

360-----router------modem

could I set it up wirelessly though? In my room? Without the Wireless Network Adapter like this:

360----wireless bridge?-----to router in other room----modem

im not sure if bridge is the right word, or maybe booster? Anyways, could someone help me with this? as I'm guessing it's cheeper than 100 bucks for the adapter

2. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

yes you can share a wireless connection with the xbox by bridging the connection from a computer that is connected the the internet. you will have to do a google search on how to bridge the connection tho

3. keith182

keith182 Member

Only problem I'd have with that is it would look like this:

360----computer----WIRELESSLY to Router------modem

think it would work? I don't really kno what to google. I may as well call them

4. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

i tried to do the same thing and i decided to call the xbox help #. the told me to call someone else and they told me to talk with the xbox people. they just didnt know what they were talking about. i ended up just getting the wireless adapter. that is very easy to use

5. keith182

keith182 Member

im 16 and I'm jobless. I have hockey untill summer, which is when I will get a job. guess I have to wait untill the summer so I can afford wireless gaming. joy

6. steimy

steimy Active member

you can plug the ethernat cable into any device that has internet access and it should work. If the signal comes into the wireless bridge, like it would a wireless gaming adapter, then you should be able to use it. But not knowing exactly what you have kind of limits what i can tell you. Does this bridge have ethernet plugs in the back like a router would? Did it have a set up disc or something where you assigned it an IP address and all that?

what you would most likely have to do is set the Xbox IP address to match what the bridge is.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  7. keith182

keith182 Member

I dont have a wireless bridge. i have a PC with a wireless D link adapter on the back of it, and it also has an empty ethernet port.
    Would i use a Rj-45 or an ethernet cord to connect them, and do i need anything installed on the pc

8. steimy

steimy Active member

an RJ45 is an ethernet cable. There are two types, a strait through which you do not want. And a crossover cable which you do want.
    They are both RJ45 ethernet cables.
    You can even try the cord that your Xbox 360 may have come with, at least mine came with one. But since i have my house set up wireless i didn't need it.

9. keith182

keith182 Member

Yeah it's a cross over.
    do i need any software on the pc tho?

10. Arkadiy

Arkadiy Guest

How bout you do this:

Modem
    |
    Router
    / \
    PC 360 (ethernet cable on both PC and 360)

11. keith182

keith182 Member

that is what im doing right now. i want 360 in my room

12. steimy

steimy Active member

only software you would need on the PC is if you want to stream media from PC to 360. Then you use a program like ORB or TVerssity. But nothing needed for Xbox Live, you just need to set up the network settings on the Xbox. If you do this and give me what it tells you i can help.

start->all programs->accessories->command prompt.
    then type ipconfig/all
    then write down all the info it gives you.

if you have any other equipment like a laptop running on this network do the same thing and find out what IP address it uses so you do not use the same for the 360.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  13. keith182

keith182 Member

K I'm at school right now, I'll do it when I get home.

You could also do run CMD and then type in ipconfig/all.

ANYWAYS. i have orb on my media center. it's pretty sweet. But yeah I'll get back to you. And thanks so much for your help.

14. Arkadiy

Arkadiy Guest

Orb doesn't upscale. When I play videos through media center on my 360 it upscales it to near HD quality which is something I really like, I couldn't even watch my movie through orb it sucked in quality :(

15. keith182

keith182 Member

Orb works fine in HD for me.
    On media center you can only play .wmv

orb streams from your computer.

16. steimy

steimy Active member

had the same problem, Used ORB and streamed the movie and it was really grainy and i couldn't even stand to watch it like that.

as for Xbox live i will give an example and you may be able to do it without any more help, cause i may not be around much after 5PM today as i will be online with the 360 playing Rainbow 6 Vegas as always.

If IP for computer is 192.169.1.100 for example
    you can make the 360 192.168.1.105 (the rest of the information just fill in the exact same addresses as the PC gave you. As far as default gateway, subnet mask and DNS)

If your PC says that DHCP is enabled you may also just be able to plug up the 360 with the crossover, then turn on the 360 and it should find your network and settings automatically. That is how mine is set up.

17. Arkadiy

Arkadiy Guest

Not if you use Transcode360, then you can play any format.

18. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

I have the same problem and i just ran the config thing. here are the stats:

IP: 192.168.1.111

I want to do the same connection thing as well, and i have a laptop in my room with a wireless internet running on it, and I have the Xbox 360 premium ethernet cable. So is this possible to get Xbox Live in my room??

19. keith182

keith182 Member

[​IMG]

there's my info

20. keith182

keith182 Member