1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting two dishes

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fintannl, Jun 10, 2011.

1. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

All, stupid question but would like to know if it is possible. Can you connect a feed from two different sat dishes into the back of a sat box using some kinda duplexer so it is possible to switch from one channel to the next without having to disconnect one dish and connect another into the sat receiver.

2. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

That's a great question fintanni and something that I have thought about, so I hope you dont mind, but I copied and pasted your exact question and posted it on another forum, I will let you know if it gets any good replies.

3. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

no worries. am setting up a friend of mine with a tring card for his pub. he already has a sat dish for bbc/itv and freeview chans etc.. So I will set him up to share all chans to all the tvs in his pub. But its a right pain in the backside if he has to change connector at the back of the sat receiver each time he wants to move chans from tring to freeview. For me at home it aint a prob, hence the question. I suspect that the electrical signals must interfere with each other

4. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

I have sent you a PM fintanni.
    It is possible with a 'Smart 2x1 Diseqc Switch' and I have seen them for about €8.

5. Kiaora

Kiaora Member

I very simple option which i use is an a/b switch. I have a 1.2m dish on A and a motorised dish onto b. A simple push a or b selects the dish you require, saves changing connectors over.

6. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

thanks a mill for this, kiora could you explain how this works. obviously you have two connectors coming from the two sat dishes. Where do you implements the a/b switch you describe. Please take into account that I want to take a single input from both dishes and multiplex out to four tv screens when you consider your response

7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

dubdave, hate me on this one if you want but i so hate pms. i consider all discussions i raise as being open to the public so would you mind posting the information so others can learn from it. sorry to be a pain.

8. Kiaora

Kiaora Member

Here is what I use for switching between dish's, I can confirm it allows dc bypass so you can run a motorised dish.

Code:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/aerial-switch-17808
    Now the problem for multiplexing, I assume you want to watch different stuff on different channels in different rooms. This will prove difficult if your only using one lnb on each dish. You could use a 4 into one splitter with dc bypass which will split the output from the a/b switch which will give 4 outputs, but if people try watching anything other than one single transponder your going to have problems.

9. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

watching stuff in different rooms i can cope with as i can share the card to different parts of the pub using one box as server and all others as clients. so its back to the same question. yes, i can sort all parts of the pub with the tring card but can i also feed the fta chans without changing connector

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

kiaora, had a look at that and its a better solution than the constant screw in/screw out solution (mickah my apologies for the language)

11. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

12. sekondi

sekondi Member

u need a diseqc switch either 4 ways or 2 ways depending on how many dishes you want to connect to the box and how much space the box has. pm me i will send u the procedure

13. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

thanks sekondi. had done a bit of reading and figured out exactly what you say so have ordered the switch. if you have a procedure for programming the dm500 then please post it here. It would be of great help

14. sekondi

sekondi Member

FIRST U NEED ONE CABLE CONNECTING FROM THE BOX TO THE RECIEVER POINT ON THE DISEQC
    THEN 1 SATELITTE GOING TO DISEQC A OR 1 AND THE YOUR SECOND SATELLITTE TO B OR 2 ON THE DISEQC. THEN
    -go to setup
    -SERVICE SEARCHING
    -SATELLITE CONFIGURATION
    -SELECT 2 SATELLITE VIA DISEQC A/B AND THEN SAVE
    -GO TO MULTI SCAN THEN SELECT YOUR SATELLITE AS THE ARE CONNECTED ON THE DISEQC
    -PRESS OK TO SELECT THE SATELLITES, THEN DO AUTOMATIC SCAN

LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

15. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ok that doesn't seem to be too hard. will set it up over the next couple of weeks so will let you know. thanks or the info

16. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

I've only just set this up with 3 lnb's on 2 dishes with a 4/1 diseqc switch, on a 800hd running dreamelite pheonix edition. It's great !!!!

17. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

yep, set this up over the weekend with no problem whatsoever