1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cons of high burning speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by keisukey, Dec 22, 2004.

1. keisukey

keisukey Member

what are the negatives of burning a dvd or a cd at a high speed, compared to a slower speed?? thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Quality may decline, chance for more errors.Especially in poor media. Main thing is if your stand alone players will be able to read them.Some members have to burn very slow just so their players can read them.I usually do 4x,which is highly recommended for newbies, but occasionally 8-12x just to mess around.High quality burner and Using high quality media will help on faster burning.This is what I have noticed,but everyone has their own opinions. Happy holidays

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have found that you can burn CDs at high speed, 52x, but with DVDs I have to agree with Saugman, increased chance of errors, media is critical. Most here find that at the moment 4x is the quickest & safest for good results.
    I guess as media improves (at least I hope it will!) then burn speeds will increase.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I burn CDs at 40x and DVDs at 2x. No problem so far.

5. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I burn cd's at 52x and dvd's at 8x on my cheap dvd burner and I never have any problems as long as the dvd's are 1.5x-8x
    If I have any that are 1.5-4x then I have to burn at 4x max orelse I get read errors so I think it's more the blank media than the burner

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

I burn DVD's on cheap media at 4x and on my good quality DVD media 8x.
    I have no problems as yet with that combination.
    I also reduce the burn surface to 4360 instead of the full disc area of 4464.

7. keisukey

keisukey Member

wow thanks! ill do 4x for dvd and 40x for cd. out of curiousity, do you guys think that the burning software would affect anything too?

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Burning software shouldn't matter a whole lot, always somebody have problems with one or the other. I like nero 6.0 + it's great for both cd and dvd's.You can't go by what the rate each brand is,like verbatim +8x or teon +8x, I can get these to go up to 12x and 16x with no problem,purely accidental though.Up to date firmware another major effect on burning. It will tell you what blanks it likes and doesn't like.Dvd decrypter is free,but I think it is dvd only. I haven't the need for it yet. Later