1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consensus on burn speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Droogie, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Droogie

Droogie Member

hi i am new to this forum and to burning. i have a pioneer 108 and ritek 8x media. i have been using shrink and decrypter to make DVDs and so far out of 6 disks i havent had one coaster(thanks to this forum). My ? is my burner is capable of burning the ridatas at 12x but i have read different things saying that burning at speeds greater than 4x causes errors during playback, so what is my best option burn at 4x or burn at the higher speeds 8x or 12x? i want the best possible results so the speed is not necessarily that important to me but if u can make burns of equal quality i would certainly not mind getting them done faster since i always do the indepth scan prior to encoding anyways. Any feedback on this topic would really be appreciated. And thanks again for all the knowledge provided on this forum.

Bill

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

droogie, welcome to aD.

I always go by the rule the slower the better.You're talking about 10-15 minutes on something you'll watch for years. Not to mention cost of media is higher.

I burn at 4x normally, sometimes even 2.4x if I have errors.

3. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

> i have a pioneer 108 and ritek 8x media
    Your media inicated that the burning speed is 8X max.
    You can burn at 12X but it's not always worked, cause medias coming in different load, different day of manufacture. It's worked for your 50/100? disks that you have now, but when you buy the next 50/100 disks, will it can burn at 12X, I do not know.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I to have a Pioneer that can burn 4X at 8X but who wants coasters 20% of the time ?

I find that the majority of the time 4X is about the best you can do without errors. As the "Big" guy said, at time I go to 2.4 if I've encountered difficultiy at 4X

12X, Thanks, I'll pass -

Cheers,

Pete

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Good day droogie , viddy ye well ? :c)

X4 is my suggestion as to optimum burn speed as it only takes around 15mins & you should have no errors [even after time]

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4X here. No more no less.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

oh, hell I'll join the 4x band wagon aswell..............

Yes 4x gets my vote, 15min burn suits me fine, cup of horlicks and a stroke of the cat whilst the burner burns..................

Stomachs happy, cats happy and the dvd player is over the moon as it does not have to stress it's laser assembly out by hop skipping and jumping all over the place..................4x all the way - errorless....

8. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Yeppers, 4x is always good for me with quality media, and for media from a (very) questionable source I find that 2x makes even them reliably good. Only have a Pioneer 106, so can't really comment on anything else, but the same rule of thumb goes in the CD world too, faster isn't always better. I've also been told that going TOO slow isn't always a good idea either (probably only really applicable to CDs though), due to localised overheating of discs, but don't have any first hand experience (never had a slow enough burner or the patience or need to try).

9. jimw1

jimw1 Guest

Hi all,
    I was returning to update a thread I had initiated with an observation made about burn speed, and I noticed the title on this thread. I'm new to this and was having trouble getting movie backups to play on my tv dvd player. They started skipping halfway through and finaly refused to play. I picked one movie to assess with a variety of changed conditions (different media types -R, -RW, media brands Fuji and Sony, eliminate software InCD and Roxio). After a lot of "coasters" I decided to return to my original conditions and let DVD Shrink and Nero set the burn speed for me at the default 8x(previously I had always chosen the option 4x with the understanding that slower is better). To my suprise, it worked well. In order to confirm that this was the actual cause I'll need some more successes (variability in media quality for my Fuji disks is still a question as I understand). Anyway, I hope that this experience has some value for readers.

Jim

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

jimw1,

in my estimation it was probably the InCD and/or the roxio that caused the problems.

Try one at 4x now and see if it doesn't work. Also, if you were using 4x media it probably burned at 4x anyway even tho the default said 8x.

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You may still need to clean your registry if you've not bothered since uninstall of InCD & Roxio jimw1 ;c)

12. Droogie

Droogie Member

Thanks to all of you for your input and wisdom i will stick with 4x as i havent had any problems with that speed to speak of.

Bill

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

14. forkndave

forkndave Member

For some reason My Pioneer A07 gives me the least Kprobe errors when I burn at 6X. Errors are a little higher at 8X and much higher at 4X. It doesn't matter if I use 4X or 8X discs. I accidentally burned one at 1X once and my PI errors were above 1000. I also have a Lite-On 411s@811s and -R discs burned on it at 4X are worse than the Pioneer at 4X. If I burn a +R in it, 6X is still the best speed for me. I can't think of a logical explanation for this. If I am burning MCC coded discs I burn them all at 8X. I also find lower error rates with the 4X MCC than I do with the 8X MCC. This is at 4X, 6X or 8X. I know that my results are atypical and I wouldn't advise anyone else to follow my example. I do have very few coasters since I quit using certain brands of discs.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jimw1,

Fuji = Baaaaadd !!

Sony = Gooooddd !!

I'd like to help you with the other discs, or perhaps make some comments based on what I could find - can you post their names ?

Without names they're pretty hard to trace -

Cheers,

Pete