1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Chipping

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Ste!, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Ste!

Ste! Member

I've been looking at modding my PAL Wii..
    What chip would you guys recommend? from what i gather the wiikey would be ok, as i am not really interested in GC games anyway.

Its a UK wii, running 3.0E

i don't want to go to any extreme lengths, so how can i find out without opening the case if its one with the legs cut from the chip?

you've probably answered this question before, sorry for this, but i wanted to be sure the info i get works for my wii.
    thanks

2. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

The Wiikey works fine and the new update is out now which fixes gamecube compatibility.

You can't. Opening it up is the only way to be sure of your chipset.

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

I would reconsider chipping your wii. I have read several reports where chipping has caused them not to work anymore.

I think the biggest problem has been the physical damage to the motherboard making them unplayable at all.

If you still want to chip it though, I can recommend some good procedures that I know to be effective.

You could go with a chisel and hammer. Thats the best, quickest way of putting a chip in your wii. If that proves too difficult for you, you could try using it as a puck while playing street hockey. I've seen some great chipping accomplished this way.

4. Ste!

Ste! Member

haha, nice post kafluke.
    reminds me of one day in primary school where someones tamagotchi broke and we played football with it lol.

i'll probably do it myself, and i did some research into the serial number of my wii re: motherboard chipset. with a bit of luck i should have a d2b with legs still attached.
    i've done a bit of soldering before but how big are these solder pads?

5. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

about as tiny as they come. be careful!