1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

console drive opens & closes automatically and is now stuck

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by shinnster, Jul 16, 2007.

1. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

Someone offered me a console that is broken and I wondered how hard it would be to fix, he said while playing a game the console froze, he restarted it but then the dvd tray kept opening and closing on its own for a while and then it just stopped, but now it doesnt open at all.
    is this just a case of replacing the drive (thats if you can get the orig firmware off still) with a new one or is there a way to fix this?

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

If you get the original firmware of the drive, then you can replace it, sounds like a drive issue, I would recommend you open the drive, and make sure nothing is jamming up the gears inside, because that can cause these problems.

3. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Could be a number of things. The firmware might just need reflashing (either to the original one or a iXtreme one, depends whats on there now), the drives gears might be jammed or come off the tracks. Or the chip that controls the dvd motor may have blown. Most likely one I could think of is the tray is misaligned somehow, your mate probably dropped the 360 or knocked it over. Check this link http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thompson_dvd_tray.htm

4. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

cheers for the replys dudes, i'll open it up & have a check of the gears before i flash it to see if that fixes it.