1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console vs PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Freekman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

quick question would my pc be better or worse than a ps3/360
    3 gig ram
    320 gig HD
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 2.4
    ATI 3870 800/1125

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

depends. What games are you comparing to it? In all, I would image your PC is better than the consoles, but viruses/malware can hinder performance, as well as defraging. How do you measure fps in console games anyway? Dont they all stay the same at 34 no matter what's happening?

3. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

ya but in terms of raw power will i be able to play every 360 game that comes out on full or will they get to good for my pc without upgrade

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yes.

Think of it like this: you wont see Crysis (most graphically advance game in the world for PC) coming out for the 360 or PS3 ever.

5. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

that was how i thought of it then i thought that maybe there games were just coded badly and would advance further. but there is also Farcry 2 coming out using cryengine 2 and as far as i know it is coming out for consoles. Ya i just started this thread to prove a point to my freind, but now i am just curious. thanks

6. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

another question this is off topic but i dont want to put a nwew thread in this section.
    but with my pc i am only getting 60 fps in css why is this

7. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I havnt played CSS but most games put a limit on frame rates to help with stability. It has to do with the 'tick rate' of the servers, the rate at which the network and physics code run.
    Usualy the frame rate can be unlocked somewhere in the games config files.

8. mauro125

mauro125 Member

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

well if it does come out, the graphics will be lowered to medium settings, or something like that as a PS3 does not have a 8800GTX in it. My point being if the 8800GTX can only get 25-30FPS on very high, then the PS3's graphics could pro probably only get half that frame rate.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your PC is unquestionably more powerful than either console. It depends what sort of monitor you're using as to whether you get a better picture or not. Right now there's no game out there that your PC can't handle at 1080p resolution to some extent except for Crysis, which isn't out on consoles. Even if it does, it'll be a cut down version since the consoles just aren't powerful enough to handle it.

Your frame rate in CSS is 60 because you're using VSync. If you turn that off it'll be higher.

11. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

I havnt played CSS but most games put a limit on frame rates to help with stability. It has to do with the 'tick rate' of the servers, the rate at which the network and physics code run.
    Usualy the frame rate can be unlocked somewhere in the games config files.[/quote]

oooooooo the thing is with my 7600gt i used to get like 100 fps same configs but you make it seem like it is better to keep it this way so i wont fiddle

12. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

o ya vsync is on i just turned everything on cause i could. doesn't vsync sync with your refresh rate or something, like what exactly is it
    and that realease info is just hype watch him he seems pretty sure about no console realease
    http://www.stage6.com/EA-Crysis/video/1831205/Crysis-interview---GTtv

also what hardware does crytek use to test these kinds of games are they unrealeased or what, because nothing seems to be able to play it that well

and how come whenever i play crysis i can never find other kinds of amo besides incinerary

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, Vsync is designed to stop flickering lines on your screen that can sometimes occur when the refresh rate of your monitor is lower than that of the game's frame rate, and it's no bad thing having it on. Often, however, it is useful to disable it to monitor your frame rate accurately. I typically only enable Vsync in games which have flickering problems. The only recent example I can think of is Doom 3, and I think you'll agree that's not exactly recent.
    As for Crysis I can't help you there, I've not played it much, but the hardware requirements are steep because it's designed as an "industry-leading" game. In other words, it's the first example of the sort of graphics and gameplay to be expected from future games. Typically the first game to be released in a set like this has slightly higher requirements than most future games as the engine hasn't yet been fully optimised. On the whole though, I do think Crytek took it a bit too far next time. The golden days of 2004-2006 are over, when a new, faster card came out every few days!

14. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i dissagree i dont think that they should make the games worse they should make them as good as possible

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Eh?
    When did I say they'd made games worse?

16. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

you said tey went to far and i think that they should go as far as possibbl

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, there's nothing stopping games designers making a game that is impossible to run on any current PC, but what would be the point? Nobody would buy it until they could actually play it! You have to strike the right balance.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the PS3 has a 7800GTX, it wont be able to play, esp with AA. itll have to be at 1024 x 768.

but consoles are cheaper than PCs.

oh and the 360 has an ATI Xenon GPU, which is kind of like a crap x2900gt (aka kind of like the 7800GTX)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The PS3 doesn't have a Geforce-style card, it's the RSX, which will perform differently in some areas to others, but essentially it will perform about the level of a 7800, so as such would never be able to run games in 1080p at a high detail level.

20. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

so basicly in the end my pc kicks a consoles ass