1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ZebUK, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

The full message:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

Is that actually drive D:?

I ask because drive D is my DVD RW and E is an 80GB HD. Any idea what this error could be and how I can fix it?

I'm using an abit KN9 SLI mobo, have C: 320GB via SATA, D: DVD RW via IDE, E: 80GB via IDE

I'm wondering if my DVD drive is on its way out. I clicked the "more" link in eventvwr and it says my cable is at fault :/

Confused...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

I really hope someone can help with this, not sure if its my SATA drive, DVD drive or my IDE drive.

Windows boots fine but when I log in it takes almost forever for Windows to become responsive.

Just check eventvwr and got 3 of these:
    DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

One of these:
    A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Six of these:
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

One of these:
    The TrueVector Internet Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

And one of these:
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

CD-ROM (DVD) wasn't in use at the time as I was watching a movie from the HD using WMP.

3. whompus

whompus Active member

I think these are some weird errors windows is tossing out because of slow response from your sata. I think drivers are at the root of the problem, but mostly windows problems with some raid controlers.

4. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Think I've sussed it out...

I've got a PCI card installed allowing me to attach an extra 4 IDE hard drives. In device manager I noted that the drivers weren't installed correctly. I grabbed the driver disk, tried re-installing the drivers but for some reason they won't take so I'm having to remove the equipment: two IDE HDs and the PCI card.

For the moment I've just disabled the card and rebooted to see if it fixes the problem.

5. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

OK seems that wasn't the source of the problem afterall.

After having the PCI card disabled since my last post it just happened to me again (I only tried to view the source of a web page) with the same error message about harddisk0\D in event viewer.

After a bit of Googling I found out that my HD and DVD drive may not like being set to "master" and "slave" via the jumper on the units.

After download has finished I'm going to open the machine up and set the drives to CS instead and see how that goes.