1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convering xvid/divx to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by RXV2300, Mar 22, 2007.

1. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Have done some reading but I'm still having difficulties to find one
    easy software that can/will convert xvid/divx to dvd format.
    Some say that it requires few different software to do this job & some say otherwise.
    Not sure where I can find necessary software/guide to be able to make this conversion.
    Also once this is done (converting xvid/divx to dvd)will it play on standard dvd player, I have 5 years old Toshiba dvd player.

I have been able to find software called "convert x to dvd" but don't know how to use it.

[ + quote]
    Edit thread title

Reply Start a new thread Unsubscribe from this thread

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you have Nero Vision 4 or Nerovision Express you can author/burn a dvd using avi files.

You can use the free version of Convertx to convert the AVI file to a folder which you can use in Nero or another program to create a DVD

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe

You can (free) download DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter which can use files in the folder to burn a dvd.

3. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Tks for your reply.
    I'll tell you exactly what I have & what has been done but without much progress.

I have Nero 7.0 & VSO DIVX to DVD

Used divxtodvd to convert movie which is already saved onto my desktop when I downloaded, it's in "XVID-XOR.AVI" format.
    Once converted it saved me a folder called "VIDEO_TS" within this folder I have 5 files,
    VIDEO_TS.BUP , VIDEO_TS.IFO , VTS_01_0.BUP , VTS_01_0.IFO , VTS_01.VOB

What do I do from here on? Can you please tell me step by step.
    Thank you very much,

4. attar

attar Senior member

Assuming you have the Nero 7 package.
    Easy way from scratch.Put a blank dvd in the burner.

You have a desktop icon 'Nero StartSmart' click on that.

Either click on 'Make your own DVD Video' or under the applications select 'Nero Vision'.Click on either one and:

Make DVD -> DVD Video -> Add Video Files.

Two choices, either navigate to your original AVI file and Open it into Nero.
    Then go through the steps and accept the default menu.
    Use the simulator to see if its ok then go on to burn.
    At some point you may be asked if you are a PAL or NTSC region.(rest of World or North America)
    Continue on.
    Choose your recorder from the 'Burn to' list then examine 'Recorder Settings' to choose the speed (4x on Verbatim is what the Nero Forum say).
    You may not get a choice of speed if you didn't put the disk in before starting Nero..
    Proceed to burn.
    or
    Navigate to the folder that has all the files that you got after coverting the AVI (Video_TS folder)and select the VOB file or files.
    In this case Nero might ask you if you want to join all the vob files into one and you would say 'yes', because they are all from the same video.From here on the steps are the same as if you elected to use an AVI.

EDIT NOTE.
    Your message said you used DIVXtoDVD, but your link is for ConvertX2dv.
    I think that software trial only allows a few minutes of video.

DIVXTODVD is fully functional but does not create menus and such.
    It converts the AVI to a VOB.

ConvertX2DVD creates VOB,IFO,BUP files and optionally a menu.

In the second case you could use 'Nero Express' to burn the whole structure to a DVD including the menu.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Thank you very much, I think I got it but the entire burning process takes about 90 minutes, is this normal?

However I am more comfortable with programs that make "ISO", is there such program, since DivXtodvd make vob, ifo, bup files which I finds little confusing.

6. attar

attar Senior member

'Folder to ISO' will create an .iso image from a folder.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_dvd_decrypter.cfm
    I don't know any freeware that goes from avi to iso.

If you drag your AVI into Nero, then 90 minutes isn't out of line from start to finish.

If you want speed, get a divx compatible player.No authoring, just fill up the disk with avi files and burn.

7. palapala

palapala Guest

Imtoo dvd creator V3.0 is a good choice too

I must admit I had stopped using ImToo and gone back to Nero.
    ImToo was seriously lacking features and seemed quite slow, But
    just used the new version its a huge improvement , far superior appearance, still very easy to use/navigate, seems to be improved speed of conversion, definatly uses far less dvd disc space than Nero so far I am very happy with the new version and will move back to ImToo.

Hope the feedback helps and more people could get the useful software.

8. palapala

palapala Guest

And the other reason Ilike it that is the after service!

once u have bought some products of them, they will inform u new information about it, if it has been updated or added in new function by email. and if have something to ask ,u can contact with them ,really very easy