1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

conversion doesnt work

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dmbfan, Oct 8, 2004.

1. dmbfan

dmbfan Guest

i converted an avi file using tmpgenc and then encoded it using ifoedit and burned with nero but when i go to play the dvd the picture just skips like an old projector movie that is jammed. what i mean by that is the picture just goes up and down numerou times and is continuos. is there any way i can fix this. btw the downlaod was shaun of the dead and it plays in quicktime but doesnt actually have a .avi next to it

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

maybe read the article below and then use the info to solve your problem.

Converting Between QuickTime and AVI

Bob Currier, Synthetic Aperture

I've done a lot of QuickTime to AVI conversion, and have found three Windows-based ways that work, and one Mac-based way that works in certain circumstances. I've found the old Microsoft Mac tool to be waaay more trouble than it is worth, even with all the patches installed.

The conversion methods I've used are:

Adobe Premiere for Windows. Be sure to not re-compress the video in the process, which Premiere will happily do by default.

If you get a copy of Nels Johnson's "How to Digitize Video" book (ISBN 0-471-01440-0), it comes with a CD-ROM which contains trmoov.exe, a PC program which will convert between AVI and QT. The trmoov tool is also available on the Download Recordings Web page.

Intel has a program, SmartVid, which will convert files without regard to the codec used, unlike their old "Indeo-only" program. It can be downloaded from the Intel Web page. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions, as they don't make it easy to install.

The Mac-based solution is a tool from Horizons Technology and can be purchased from their Web site. It requires a PowerPC processor, and is currently not compatible with QuickTime 2.5, requiring that you save movies with QuickTime 2.1 before conversion to AVI.
    Now, that said, don't expect perfection with any of these. Because of basic differences between the way that the video is laid down, what you get will be a compromise, at best. There was a nifty article by Nels Johnson on this subject in the June 1995 issue of DV magazine. If you are going to be doing a lot of this conversion, it is certainly worth looking up. Back issues of DV can be ordered by calling 603 924-0100. Unfortunately, their Web archive doesn't go back that far.
    I've had the best luck with trmoov, which re-interleaves the audio, since AVI likes audio between every frame which pretty much drives QuickTime nuts. There is a bug, however, that reverses the left and right channels of stereo audio when going in the AVI to QuickTime direction.

Premiere/Windows does a good job and you can control the interleave, but it is quite a hefty investment if this is all you are going to use it for. (Since Premiere can output QuickTime files, I also use it for overflow compression for those times when even the old Mac II is tied up compressing.)

SmartVid does a good job, but it doesn't deal with audio interleaving. Intel recommends that you re-interleave the audio using VidCap, a Video for Windows tools that can be found in Microsoft's Multimedia Jump Start kit, available via ftp and from Microsoft's web site.

For a successful conversion, there must be matching video codecs supported by both QuickTime and Video for Windows. I always work with the assumption that codecs are not compatible unless I've done extensive testing. Cinepak is the most commonly used codec for conversion between QuickTime and AVI. It is fully compatible except for some 8-bit color palette handling issues, where QuickTime and VfW choose different default palettes at playback.

Indeo 3.2 is also available under both systems, and widely used in AVI files. You will need to install the Indeo codecs (available on the Intel Web site) for use on the Mac. When you install the Intel codecs on your Mac, you will also get the YVU9 codec, which is a good codec for moving uncompressed video between QuickTime and AVI. There is currently no QuickTime support for the newer Intel Video Interactive (IVI or Indeo 4) on either the Mac or PC.

There is a bundle of codecs that comes with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Maczilla that provides support for some AVI codecs on the Mac. If you install the file "Windows Compressors" in your extensions folder, you will gain the ability to convert some additional AVI files to QuickTime and play them on the Mac. The compressors supported by this extension are Microsoft Video (msvc), Windows Raw (WRAW), and Windows RLE (WRLE).

Audio is another important factor when converting movies. For AVI files, be sure to stick with audio sample rates of 11.025 KHz, 22.050 KHz, or 44.1 KHz. The other Mac sample rates will not play well in AVI files. Also stay away from audio compression. AVI does not support MACE compression, nor is QuickTime's IMA compression compatible with the Microsoft implementation of the same "standard." And, needless to say, anything other than playing a single video track and a single audio track is beyond AVI.

If all you are looking to do is play an AVI file on your Macintosh, then the simplest solution is Microsoft's Internet Explorer 3.0. This web browser will open AVI files and play them on your Mac. It won't play every AVI file out there because of codec considerations--more on that later--but it is the simplest player around.

Converting between QuickTime and AVI is a common operation, with most existing AVI files having started their lives under QuickTime. There is not a one-to-one relationship between the formats, but with a little care and planning you can easily move content from one format to the other

check the link out to a converter that may be a simpler solution for you

http://www.brothersoft.com/convert-quicktime-to-avi.html

andmerr
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2004