1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

conversion question.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BishBash, Apr 4, 2005.

1. BishBash

BishBash Member

Hi. Ive looked about on the forum and not found the exact answer or a way that works for this question.

I've recently got hold of some dvd's from a mate. however they are ntsc format. My dvd player will only play pal format dvds :(

is there any programs,software or anyway i can convert these original ntsc dvd's into pal format on my pc. then burn the converted files onto disk and watch on my standalone player?

Is this even possible ? as ive seen posts regarding avi files etc but none for original dvd's.

Thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think Nero Vision Express (part of Nero Ultra) can do the conversion. There is a 30 day trial download to try it out.

Jerry

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i have only did it once and on basic quilty settings throughout, it worked and took a hile and it isnt for the faint hearted! so i just bought a standaone to play ntsc film aswell as pal! £24.99 but heres what i followed!

you get mpegs at the end ready to author! in pal

NTSC (Video) DVD (29.97i Fps) -> PAL DVD (25i Fps)
    Run DVD2AVI and load the decrypted VOBs using the "Open" item in the "File" menu (you need to choose only the first one of a sequence).
    Check the "None" item in the "Field Operation" sub-menu of the "Video" menu.
    Choose the desired audio track number (usually "Track 1") in the "Track Number" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Demux" item in the "Dolby Digital" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Auto Select" item in the "Channel Format" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Check the "Off" item in the "48 -> 44.1 KHz" sub-menu of the "Audio" menu.
    Select the "Save Project" item in the "File" menu.
    Choose a location and filename for the DVD2AVI project name. A small text file with the D2V extension will be created, and the audio track specified above will be extracted from the VOB into an AC3 file in the same location.
    Create and open a new text file with an AVS extension (to be used with AVISynth), using your favorite text editor (like Notepad).
    Add the following lines, filling in the location and filename of the file you created above:
    LoadPlugin("MPEG2DEC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    MPEG2Source("DRIVE:\PATH\VTS_xx_x.d2v")
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
    ConvertFPS(50) # or ChangeFPS(50)
    LanczosResize(720,576)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()
    ConvertToRGB()
    Save the AVS file.
    Ensure that MPEG2DEC.dll is installed. (If this file is placed in the \WINNT\System32 or \Windows\System directory, the full path is not needed, as illustrated in the above script. Otherwise, add the full path to the LoadPlugin() command.)
    Ensure that SmoothDeinterlacer.dll is installed. (If this file is placed in the \WINNT\System32 or \Windows\System directory, the full path is not needed, as illustrated in the above script. Otherwise, add the full path to the LoadPlugin() command.)
    Load the AVS file into TMPGEnc as the "Video Source."
    NOTE: Cancel the Wizard dialog box which appears when you run TMPGEnc.

Load the "DVD (PAL)" template into TMPGEnc.
    Load the "unlock" template (located in the "Extra" directory).
    Select "Video only" in the "Stream type" region.
    Specify the location and name of the "Output file name" with an M2V extension.
    In the "Rate control mode:" field, choose the type of encoding you want. Multi-pass variable bit rate (VBR) settings produce better quality, but take longer to encode. Choose your bit rate based on quality desired, length of video, size of AC3 above, size of other files that will be on the destinaion disc, and the size of destination medium. Do not exceed 9800 kbit/sec.
    Choose "Motion estimate search (fast)" or "Highest quality (very slow)" in the "Motion search precision:" field on the "Video" tab of the "Setting" dialog.
    Press "Start" to convert, and encode the video.
    Author and Burn Your DVD
    At this point your audio and video files are ready to be authored and burned to a DVD. Various methods exist for this, which are beyond the scope of this Standards Conversion document.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just looked at nero vision express like jerry said, you can do it! rip the dvd to hd then it will load the vob files and the place it loads the vob files at the bottom is a video option buton you change it to pal in there before you carry on!

i would leave default except for pal changing and see what you get! inprove later if needed! as changing settings can make a longer time converting! it may be good enough!

5. Webuser

Webuser Member