1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert Ac3 to Mp3

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by damo_red, Oct 1, 2003.

1. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi how do i turn AC3 audio into mp3. the reason is ive got a simpsosn dvd which ive ripped with smart ripper.
    i have then used dvd2one to turn the dvd into small vob the size of 470 mb. the problem is i am wanting to put two of eposodes onto a single cd disk is there any way i can turn the AC3 into mp3 so that the file will be smaller while still keeping the video. ive tryd with dvd2avi and it gives me the audio file smaller but the vob still has the original audio with it is ther a way to merge the files thanks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

DVD-Video only supports LPCM/MPEG-2/AC3 audio. I don't think you'll find an authoring sw that will mux an MP3 audio into a VOB.

You could try reencoding the AC3 to a lower bitrate and reauthor, which may not be worth your trouble if the original AC3 audio bitrate is already low like 192Kbps.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

And why are You Putting VOB files on a CD-R, You will not be able to Play Vob files on a CD-R in your DVD Player, If you want movies on a CD-R and want to be able to get more than One Episode on a CD-R then Make VCD or SVCD, you can get about 2 on a CD-R in SVCD Formay and Probably 4 On in VCD format....

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Well, some DVD players will play DVD structures on a CD-R, called miniDVDs. Not many play them tho.

I agree about SVCD/VCD. You'd be better off doing that.

5. damo_red

damo_red Member

yes but mini dvd is better quility

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

MiniDVD really wouldn't be any higher quality than SVCD...your main limitation with both of these formats would be the capacity of the disc, since both use MPEG2 with constant or variable bitrates.
    The only real difference would be resolution (SVCD 352 x 480 vs MiniDVD 720 x 480). In this case I think that spreading the 800MBs or so you get on a CDR over the higher resolution of the MiniDVD format would probably compromise your quality more than giving up the horizontal resolution for an SVCD.
    Add to this the virtual non-compatability of the MiniDVD format....and the question seems moot.
    In either case, the only way you are going to get complete DVD quality is by limiting yourself to 15~20 minutes of video per CDR. That means one simpsons ep per disc!

7. damo_red

damo_red Member

yes i suppose svcd would be better but what about divx or xvid does any one hear have software to make divx. ive looked in the guide section on afterdawn but there is only a lenthy guide which ive used but there are about 6 pieces of software needed and i get lost

8. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

If you want to try out SVCD (its always nice to be able to play your movies on your standalone) I would suggest using DVD2SVCD...its a one click cponversion tool that works well in conjuction with TMPGEnc Plus or CCE. Its available at:
    http://www.dvd2svcd.org

If you have decided on using DivX (sacrioficing the ability to play back on your standalone), I would HIGHLY recommend using DVDx v2.2 in conjunction with the latest DivX 5 codec -> its pretty much 1 click, and is very intuitive. DVDx is available at: http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/dvdx.html

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  9. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi ya great software for making divx but ive got a problem it only encodes about 6 minuetes of the video any suggestions

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  10. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

11. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

IN DVDx, on the output setting screen, make sure that you select "whole" in the middle of the right hand side - then the software will automatically check how long the movie is and set it to do the whole thing.

12. damo_red

damo_red Member

thank ever so much Yuriv its now worked fine. strange however tht it dosent automatically select the whole film thanks however.