1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI to DVD - issues using ConvertXtoDVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adz07, Nov 2, 2007.

1. adz07

adz07 Guest

Hi,
    Im fairly new to all this converting stuff but Im having real issues converting 2 seperate AVI files I down...errr, acquired...and I would love to know how to stop the audio having a gap/delay.
    I have been using a program called TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress to convert the 2 files I have into 1 but when I burn the newly converted AVI file thru ConvertXtoDVD, the audio seems to seperate itself. I've wasted so many disks trying to work it out and its driving me crazy. Some assistance would be greatly appreciated....I just want a simple conversion software package where I have the choice to create 1 DVD movie file from either 1 AVI file or 2, without the hassle of putting it thru an extra program....I hope all this makes sense! :)
    Cheers,
    Adz.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

puts both avi in convertxtodvd and it does the lot aswell as burns to dvdr!

do the 2 avi play ok in sync before converting

----

there an app called AVI-MUX GUI it can jion/ and or correct audio 90% of the time in the avi.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. adz07

adz07 Guest

Thats what I've been doin, I just wasnt sure if it would create 2 tracks once it burn to dvd or not.

Yes, they're perfect when I run them thru PowerDVD.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

it makes 1 movie but! i always jion 2x avi as the convertx makes 2 lots of files from 2 avi (you dont notice this) but the ifo makes it play on a dvd player like 1 movie, which all in all should be ok? but i found on occasions it can stutter at the middle/jion watching films

so i join first in avi mux

5. adz07

adz07 Guest

Also, with ConvertXtoDVD...when it converts it & burns it onto dvdr, will it merge to 2 files into 1? What setting do I change for it to do this?

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

it does not merge 2 avi into 1, BUT! it does make 1 movie, read my last post...

7. adz07

adz07 Guest

Ok...thanks Rotary...appreciate ur help...I'll give it a try! :)

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

no worries let us know....

9. Bubba4u

Bubba4u Guest

I have had an out of sync audio problem using this program Convert x to Dvd also. I was able to correct the problem by ensuring no other processes are happening on the computer while the conversion takes place, as this program is processor intensive.

10. res2cue

res2cue Guest

Bubba, anytime you work with video files it is a good idea not to multi-task if at all possible. Whether you are backing up dvds or burning downloaded files, it takes very little to screw them up, the more CPU resources available the less it has to work... the better.

11. adz07

adz07 Guest

That AVI-MUX_GUI worked a treat...thanks Rotary ya legend! :)

Thanks for all the other input too guys, nice touch! ;)

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

avi mux gui is also used for sync out in avi to xorrect it...
    but to note! always check avi file aswell as odd occasions it can read it wrong. but for the most part it knows its stuff,

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i had the audio sync problem the other week on a few AVI files with Convertxtodvd, and my googling had turned up avi-mux i think it was. Used that and it worked on a couple troublesome avi's. However more googling turned up the fact that the audio sync problem was widespread and well known and better still was allegedly fixed in newer versions of convertxtodvd. Got rid of avi-mux and updated convertxtodvd, not a single sync problem since. Though if you guys are happy using avi-mux, not a problem. Have also started using DVD Flick a few times too, the other day i used it to batch convert about a dozen avi's, seems to be a very good program to add to all the other great programs

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

yo creaky i got a Q for you (in relation to this post)

convertxtodvd wheres the settings to change audio sync? or turn it on or off?

as in log files i see audio sync box unticked?

can you change the MS delay if needed manually? like avimux...

TFM The FilmMachine has auto correct for audio sync probs... (i use TFM as i can use CCE as encoder)

guy above use avi mux to jion, another good avi corrector is DivFix for other probs in avi...

15. creaky

You know far more about AVI stuff than me young man, it's all fairly new to me, however i do keep reading stuff on the net re the tickbox in convertxtodvd titled "don't check/fix audio discontinuities" - that this should be left unticked. As i say i this sync problem should only have been a problem in older versions. I updated to 2.2.3.258 as i'd read that this version was sorted re the audio sync problem that plagued earlier versions and so far after many many AVI conversions ( and across different machines) i've not had one AVI play up. Well chuffed with the results, and you know me, i like simple, so i don't bother with too many other utilities or programs if i can avoid it :)

edit also Rotary, - i'm a big fan of DVD Rebuilder with CCE SP2, though never used The Film Machine before, would it be worthwhile trying it out as another alternative to ConvertxtoDvd ie would the quaility be superior and would it take much longer (bearing in mind my fastest machine is a P4 2.4!!) i know your rig is probably even more meaty than when you last posted in the 'Where i'm Sat' thread

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I have a question for Rots....Does this avi-mux join in a similar fashion to VirtualDub? There are a few clicks to get it done, but the whole process doesn't take but about 4-5 minutes. avi-mux about the same? Also, I've heard of the sync option in ConvertXtoDVD, but I use an old version that doesn't incorporate it.

@creaky

I guess I need to update my DVD Flick too as I wasn't aware of the batch encode feature. I'll have to add it to my guide.

cheers mateys

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ creaky and partly loco, i think were getting confused on audio sync, when i was talking above i was refering to the avi itself having the audio sync issues and i think also whats being talked about here is an actual version of convertxtodvd haveing a bug what made a good avi out of sync... so later versions of convertxtodvd are good to go...

TFM is much like AVI2DVD a free app which as we know if it uses CCE its got to output good quality as it does, used it for couple of years now, TFM takes about the same time as convertxtodvd (tick DSROBA in tfm/cce = 4 passes of CCE in 1...) 3 flyby passes to check file best attack then 4 is the main one.

AVI-MUX gui i alway chuck my avi in that app to check its in sync as i dont wont to waste time on the avi if it sucks or cant be repaired, avi mux is easier to use than virtualdubmod for joining 2 avi for sure, takes about the same time to jion files as v-dub and same time to correct/make new avi with corrected sync also (fast) i also use avi-mux to jion 2 avi before i put them in convertxtodvd, whys that you say? well convertxtodvd makes 2 sets of vobs/bups etc (which yeah when playing on dvdr seems like 1 film) but its not! its 2 parts jioned by ifo control on dvdplayer, which this has caused me problems on RITEK GO5 dvdr when playing it jumps/stutters at the jion, so to eleviate this i jion both avis that make up 1 film togheter before chucking it into convertxtodvd...

i favour TFM/CCE over convertxtodvd anyday! but! on a problem avi (of good quailty) i will use convertctodvd to make the dvd files, dvd shrink to make iso from files (storage/backup)...

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the clarification Rots.

19. creaky

yeah, cheers; will have to try out TFM sometime then and see what i can make of it.

20. mysabre

mysabre Member

Hi Rotary,
    Have been reading on out-of-sync problems. I too have had the same problem on occasion. I was using DVDFlick and then switched to NeroVision. Had sync difficulties with both. Bought ConvertXtoDVD tonite. Then read your article on AVI-MUX GUI. Downloaded that as well. Question: How do I know if there was sync problems while running this program? I ran a movie thru it but have no idea what it did, if anything. Should I use it all the time just to be sure? I'm tired of wasting disks.