1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI to Image File

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by MSP4EVA, Feb 2, 2005.

1. MSP4EVA

MSP4EVA Member

I have recently burnt some avi files to vcd format using TMPGEnc and VCDEasy. To encode the avi to mpeg 1 takes around two and half hours for 700mb. To speed this process up, is it possible to convert the avi file to an image file, (.bin .cue) then burn directly to disc? I'm not bothered about editing chapters or doing menu screens, so this seems to be the quickest method.

Anyone got any ideas? Any software available?

Cheers

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, sorry. Had you had a MPEG-1 you could easily had done .MPG --> bin/cue (VCD). If you had had a MPEG-2 you could easily do .MPG --> bin/cue (SVCD), apart some small things to do to be sure the 'piece' of movie fits into a CD (only 80' VCD-movie and 50' SVCD-movie fit into a 80' CD-R).
    But starting from an AVI, you have to do the process avi --> mpeg(1/2), first. TMPGenc is long, if you want a good quality. Cucusoft too, maybe a little less for a good quality, but I don't use it. Even the lame Nero makes a (buggy!) 'conversion', first.
    Chapters and menus are more sophisticated things, they are an add-on (VCDEasy...).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. MSP4EVA

MSP4EVA Member

Thanks for the reply, I thought this was the case, but had to ask. I've used VCDEasy to edit chapters and menu screens, its a good program. Are there better editing/authoring tools available ?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Some have had luck with Nerovision Express.