1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI to Mpeg - - Way Too Long To Do

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by John375, Dec 30, 2002.

1. John375

John375 Guest

I am using a Pentium II 450MHz and WinXP......Have TMPGEnc set at Normal......When trying to convert a 715MB AVI file to Mpeg, I wind-up with a Conversion that takes anywhere from 40 to 70 hours, with an end product being a huge 3 to 4 Gb Mpeg file.......This conversion just seems impractical to even bother doing --- or I must have missed the boat somehow.....This huge processing time-span and the super-huge resulting mpeg file appears no matter what 700Mb AVI file I use.....Any suggestions, or references to pass forum comments.....Thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

If you mean converting downloaded avi's to mpg then I think i found some of your problem.

In tmpgenc, with the files loaded in, click settings and click advanced! Click the box beside souce range (if a new dialog doesnt appear, double click it!). Click "set start frame" then click "move to end frame" then click "set end frame". click ok and try to encode now, see what estimate tmpgenc gives you?

3. John375

John375 Guest

Thanks Dela.... I am working with a two-part AVI that I downloaded.....Each part is as listed below
    File size = One file at 715MB, and the other at 695MB
    Codec = DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Low-Motion
    Video size = 640x272
    Time = 00:01:27:52
    Fps = 25.00

I did as you suggested....And this dropped the Conversion time down to about 16 hours, instead of the 45 to 70 hours that I faced beforehand.......Along the way, I also changed the format to 4:3 ratio as I do not have a wide-screen TV......(No doubt a faster Cpu would be useful here......But I promised myself, when I bought my 450MHz computer in 1998, that I would not buy another computer until the new computer was 10-times faster than what I have......And that looks like it will occur at the end of 2003)

4. John375

John375 Guest

By the way, I have downloaded several Mpeg and Bin-Cue movies.......Most movies wound-up as two VCDs per movie. One was three VCD's per movie (the later was SVCD's I believe).......They were all quite disappointing in quality

The most objectionable feature was color lost.........When played on a 27-inch TV - - in the dark or semi-dark parts of the movie - - one could not tell the difference between dark red, dark blue, dark green, dark brown, dark gray, and black........The dark parts of the movies were simply grays and blacks for the most part........The next objection was the occasional jumpiness, and the often blurriness at edges…….And last, one often got movies with parts missing or cut-out - - A 3VCD German and a 2VCD English version of the same movie were vastly different with many important scenes deleted in the English movie

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well thats just the net for ya. Especially if what you are downloading is cam copies or telesyncs. As for you 16 hours encoding, that still seems like a very long time but then again the cpu is a small bit slow too!