1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by koola, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Talion

Talion Member

I have a converting question. I used windows movie maker to cut a video in half. It saved it as a .WMV. Is there a way to convert it to a .avi or .mpg or whatever?
    Thanks for any help.

2. chasis2k3

chasis2k3 Member

Rotery plz help again lol still having problems i done wot u said select (play all chaptors) like you said to do on the pic but it still does not play them for some reason the TMPGEnc author wont burn dvd so i have to use nero 6 to burn i think im doing it right it really starting to piss me off badly plzzzzzzzzzzz help lol

3. chasis2k3

chasis2k3 Member

P.s rotery have u got email or msn addy plzz

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there,

it was "display main menu"! not play all chapters!

but i will pm you my msn ady!

thx...

5. trevorpj

trevorpj Member

I like the simple guides, well put together.
    I've tried using DVD Creator to convert DiVx to DVD.
    It worked well but I lost the aspect ratio. So I tried TmpGenc. I achieved the desired aspect ratio, but no sound. A large .wav file was created but when played back was silent. Did I miss something?

6. kiamaian

kiamaian Guest

I have spent days trying to convert a movie in avi format to SVCD using TMPGEnc Plus.

I finished with two mpeg files but when I try to burn them to disc with Nero 6 using the SVCD format Nero doesn't see my newly created files.

Nero has been set to find files of type 'All Nero compilations and images' but if I change the setting to 'All Files' my images then appear. When I select the image I get the popup message 'Unexpected file format.'

I would appreciate if someone could suggest where I may have gone wrong in the conversion process.

7. dustybin

dustybin Member

Try using stomp record max, i use it often and had no probs.

8. sankeerth

sankeerth Guest

Hey.. i need help guyz.. i am runin divx 2.5 on a windows me platform... and some of movies refuse to open.. i get an error message sayin..illegal AVI or MPEG-4 format.. what could be the problem.. please direct me to any links from where i can download the required file
    thanx

9. ice3

ice3 Member

hi, im trying to convert an avi to dvd using tmpg, the video source file is 560x240. when ever i encode it, it is mashed and everything on the screen is made thin. how can i fix this?
    thanx

10. maxim2

maxim2 Guest

Hey everyone,
    I'm pretty new at this pirating stuff, basically I have a ps2, some empty 700MB cds, and a computer. What I was wondering was is there a chance I can download some divX movies from kazza, change the format or something, and be able to play the movie on my ps2 when i burn it. I have no modchip or no programs such as ps2 reality player or nero. If anybody has any good tips they're greatly appreciated. Thank you.

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

maxim2: No multiposting. I already answered your question.

To All Applicable People:
    READ THE BLOODY TITLE FOR THIS THREAD!!!!
    Reply to thread: Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD
    There shouldnt be any SVCD, VCD or AVI playback discussion going on here!

:)

12. nickle916

nickle916 Guest

Please help
    I have a movie in divx
    I used tmpg author the file to 2 seperate files one video one audio
    I then tried to put it on dvd but there was no sound.
    I found that when i use ifoedit to make my vob files that it wont read the audio which is in mp2 fomat
    Please help I need sound in my vob files

13. rob6021

rob6021 Guest

Hi I tried changing paycheck from xvid to DVD, I got it to work ok, only the movie skips somewhat frequently (sound doesn't seem to skip though - and is perfectly in sync), I know it's not the dvd-rw media i'm using because I played it off hd using powerdvd and it's the same. What could i be doing wrong I followed the guide exactly. Btw the movie uses AC3 DVM sound if this helps. Thx for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2004
  14. newbiee

newbiee Member

hi i have a avi movie that has xvid compression and when i convert it to dvd it wont fit on 4.7gb and for some reason when i take that avi file and encode it to divx5.1 the output video is slower and the audio does not match any ideas ? why does the output file get slower

15. plur

plur Member

Hello averybody ;]

Well im a newbi and i dont even know if im onthe right forum but i read your guide of how to avi to dvd i follow it step by step, i printed out and everything.
    But at the end when i burned the movie to Nero 6 i think so, there was no video, only sound, so i tryed again followed your guide and the same happens so i dont really know what is it that im doing wrong.

So if any of you guys can help i'll aprecciated.

Thanks

16. shiroh

shiroh Guest

17. PFC-Kluge

PFC-Kluge Member

I have the same problem as A-LOLO. I can watch all the videos fine, and normal AVI's will convert, but with Xvid's it says it's unsupported. I downloaded the recommended FFDShow, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to TMPEnc. TMPEnc still says that my XVid avi file is unsupported.

18. plur

plur Member

Still the same problem, no video?????????
    Ive spend 3 days trying to get it right, but still no video, what can i do?

19. PFC-Kluge

PFC-Kluge Member

Plur:
    I ran into similar issues to you when I first started. A couple of ideas:
    Step1
    The AVI file that you are starting with could be either raw digital footage from a digital camcorder (probably very large in size 1-4 Gigabytes) -or- it could be a Divx or Xvid compressed format with the .avi file extension (maybe something you picked up off the web) but it is likely much smaller in size (100 MB - 500MB). A program called AVICodec will tell you what kind it is exactly, and you can download this from the AfterDawn site. The size of the file is also a good indicator.

Step2-
    If the file is a raw (uncompressed) AVI, then follow the guide using TMPGEnc to convert it to MPEG2 format. Nero 6 will easily burn this .MPG file to a DVD, but follow the guide. Note - before you start the Nero 6 burn process try playing the MPEG2 file that TMPGEnc created using a player like Windows Media Player. If you have both video and sound, then the Nero burn will be a snap. If you don't, then try playing the original raw .AVI file that you started with in the same Media Player. If you have both video and sound, then TMPGEnc will create the MPEG2 appropriately.
    NOTE2- When using TMPGEnc, make sure you select the "System (Video+Audio)" in the Output Stream type otherwise it will create 2 separate files one for video and one for audio and they are not as easy to work with and could be why you are only getting audio.

Step2B:
    If the original file is compressed (DIVX or XVid) then TMPGEnc will still do it but you will need to load something like FFDShow which you can also download here. This will provide TMPGEnc with the codec it needs to deal with this file.

Step3: After making sure that your MPEG2 file works in a media player, just use Nero 6 to burn it to a DVD.

Good luck.
    If the file is

20. Gredlen

Gredlen Member

Hi, I'm trying to convert some Xvids to DVD using TMPG, but when I try and adjust the source range, I get an "Invalid Pointer Operation." message. Is there any way around this besides just not changing the source range? =\