1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by koola, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

AVIcodec is a nice little tool for identifying what codecs you need in order to play your multimedia files. Program supports MPEG-1/2, AVI, Ogg, ASF, WMV, etc formats. AVIcodec is a nice little tool for identifying what codecs you need in order to play your multimedia files. Program supports MPEG-1/2, AVI, Ogg, ASF, WMV, etc formats.

2. softimage

softimage Member

why not just use the Super DVD Creator 7.5 ? I have purchased a license only $29 .it works fine with my DV and all of my other format files. oh..need to install the ffdshow and othter codec listed in the website http://www.alldj.com
    I am not a newer of the dvd authing ,but ,all most, I can't find a good free tools for build my dvd ,so at last ,I have to buy the Super DVD Creator .you just only add the files to the Super DVD Creator and set the output format as DVD or SVCD VCD ,and insert a blank disc and click the "Run" botton. it is so easy.

3. fantazar

fantazar Member

Hi Softimage. Is it really that easy and does it really write/convert to proper DVD format that can play in a normal DVD Player? What's the quality like when converting .avi/divx/xvid files? I've been thinking about getting a license, but don't want to waste my money if it doesn't really do the job. Your feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks

4. softimage

softimage Member

hi , fantazar ,
    Yes, the Super DVD Creator convert my Avi -divx full in 40 mins ,and the output disc play will on my home LG DVD player. the quality is best - I think it is best .you can download the trial version : http://www.alldj.com

5. User457

User457 Member

One Click Encoder ????

Quality is Best ???

I dunno, doesn't sound to graet ???

I'll give it a go and see but... watch this space ???

6. fantazar

fantazar Member

Softimage : I purchased the license and tested it out. It did what I wanted but not in less than a few hours. That was just for converting from divx-vob. After writing and playing on my DVD PLayer, the A-Grade movie on my PC came out as B/C-Grade Quality. For the BEST QUALITY you said you achieve, what settings do you use please?

Anyone : What's the BEST and FASTEST program for converting movie files to VOB please?
    I'd like my movies on my PC that play in A-Grade Quality to convert into A-Grade VOB files so I can watch them on my DVD Player in A-Grade Quality.

Thanks

7. elliott

elliott Regular member

Hi Guys!
    and girls
    I just caught this thread and I have been using a little bit of software from Cucusoft which has just been upgraded to not only convert but burn to dvd as well. It will convert any avi file and does all the complicated demuxing, mutltiplexing as well as keeping aspect ratios.

8. fantazar

fantazar Member

Yeah I tried the trial version of CUCUSOFT but it only did like 1-2 minutes worth which wasn't really enough to convince me to buy the FULL VERSION. If you have the FULL one, what is your opinion on it please?

Thanks in adv :)

9. softimage

softimage Member

Cucusoft ? I have trid this ,the cucusoft pro take 15 hours to convert my 170M avi to dvd . it is useless .

10. softimage

softimage Member

fantazar : I installed the FFdshow codec and wmv codec for converting Divx and Xvid and Wmv , the vendor of super dvd creator suggest me to install more codec to support more type of files.
    how did you set your creator ? I get the good quality picture when I use the Divx and Xvid codec .

11. fantazar

fantazar Member

Okay, I've now tried the trial version of AARE CONVERTER and it seems quite good. It has features to sharpen the coverted file, etc. Problem I got though was that at the end of converting, it gave me an error.
    Something like "File name could not be changed".
    And it doesn't save a thing. How's someone supposed to purchase the FULL version when the trial doesn't work properly?

12. kkovach

kkovach Member

Hello there.

I am looking for a little advice. I just got my DVD burner, and I'm looking to put some TV series episodes on DVD. I have them in DivX (AVI) format and am currently trying out the trial version of TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 and TMPGEnc Authoring 1.6.

I read the SimpleGuides and those were a pretty good start, but I wanted to know where I should look to save a little space to get maybe 1 or 2 extra episodes on the disc. Taking mostly the defaults, it looks like I'll only be able to fit three episodes per dics. I was wondering if you had some advice for getting maybe four or five episodes on there? Where can/should I make some changes to get a little better compression? Thanks.

- Kevin

13. baadshah

baadshah Member

hey
    im following afterdawn's guide to convert xvid to dvd using tmpegenc. however i let it run overnight with screensavers and all that turned off. in the morning my pc is restarted and it says windows has recovered from a serious error. btw im using win xp pro with 1gb ram, plenty of hd space, and a amd xp2800+ processor. any reason why this could be happening. i do have all the codecs installed (from wht i understand that is). thanks.

14. fantazar

fantazar Member

PHew!
    Okay, I went back to Super DVD Converter and tried 1:1 ratio.
    Converted okay and quality was good-v.good, but after around 1/2 hour watching, the video paused while the sound continued playing. Once the video started up again, the sound didn't match the Video. I was gutted! It never recovered after this so I killed the whole project. Think I'm going to have to continue viewing on the PC.

15. AnzaO

AnzaO Member

Hi!

I've read about people having problem with TMPGEnc hangs when converting Xvid to DVD/SVCD/VCD.
    Now my problem is similar to what others have wrote but not exactly the same. This is the problem:

When I try to convert Xvid to DVD (also tried SVCD/VCD)
    TMPGEnc hangs as soon as the encoding starts. It shows 1 frame in the preview and then goes black and the program hangs. I don't get it!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!

/Christina

16. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

how much memory, disk space do you have?

17. AnzaO

AnzaO Member

RAM - 256MB SDRAM
    HD (as of writing) - 19.1 GB

I've been able to convert DivX->DVD but not Xvid->DVD
    ;_;

18. AnzaO

AnzaO Member

Now this is weird. I tried to convert another Xvid file and that one worked fine o_O! Sooo...it must be something wrong with the other file.

Is there a program to check for errors in the Xvid file? DivFix?

19. AnzaO

AnzaO Member

OMG! I ran the file thru DivFix and checked for errors. It didn't find any. I pressed the "Rebuild Index" button and then I was able to convert it in TMPG! Yay! ^_^ I'm so happy!

I hope people with the same problem read this because it may help them too. Yay again! ^_^

20. baadshah

baadshah Member

how do u keep the aspect ratio from the original divx/xvid movie? i was successful in converting the xvid vid to mped but i was stretched. any help...