1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by koola, Nov 15, 2003.

1. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

get TMPGEnc dvd author, convert to vobs, use dvd shrink to shrink the files so they fit to dvd and then use nero burning rom to burn to dvd, if you use dvd shrink then set it so it automaticly uses nero to burn. Alternativly you can use nero vision express and set the burn to long play so the file fits to dvd. If your going to use NVE and want to extend the play then do this: start new project, click MORE, click VIDEO OPTIONS, click DVD VIDEO tab, in quality setting set the desired setting i.e. long play/super long play.

2. bOuNcYoNe

bOuNcYoNe Guest

Hi I have a prob I converted a Xvid to DVD format using Gspot , Virtualdubmod, TMPGenc plus and TMPGenc Author all goes fine till the Authoring process.

The created m2v file plays in full but after it is authored it is missing the last 10-15 minutes of the film..

Any Ideas what is going wrong?

P.S Great site tou have here :)

3. YuJen

YuJen Guest

Thank you very much for making reply MrRod. I appreciate your kind advice on how to finally get my favourite film (no longer available on DVD) on DVD of my own. Thanks!!!

YuJen

4. oliblake

oliblake Member

the only problem with all divx/avi to dvd converters is that they have a few set resolutions and i have films that get squashed if they are set to those resolutions. why cant there be a program that allows you to keep the resolution of the source file so it isnt squashed or skewed!!

5. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

If you use Nero Vision Express to burn your avi file your able to change the aspect ratio to 16:9 or 4:3 formats in the video options, don't know if that's of any use to you but you might want to give that a try.

6. oliblake

oliblake Member

Im having problems with TMPGenc. some Xvid films can be recognised and some cant be. its really annoying. is there a 'decent' xvid/divx to dvd program, that supports ALL video files????

7. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

8. oliblake

oliblake Member

yes i have it installed and not all my xvid films are recognised. its really annyoin.

9. oliblake

oliblake Member

all i can say is that TMPGENC does not work!!! its utter crap for divx and xvid. nero is crap aswell cos u cant preview the movie while its been converted. super dvd creator is crap aswell and tmpg dvd source creator says i need 4gb free on my HD but i have 14gb free!!!!!!

10. FLMods

FLMods Guest

Thanks for the guide posted on your website, I'm gonna download TMPG and give it at try at converting AVI to DVD

11. joe777

joe777 Member

i have posted this message a few times but never got any reply, could someone please post back to say even that they have never heard of these problems.i have had some good advice from people from afterdawn a few times in the past and i have read some excelent tuts aswell but nobody has returned a post to help with this prob and i don't beleive for a second that nobody from this great and pro place has never heard of such probs.Afterdawn is the daddy as far as i am concerned so please live up to your reputation and please post me on this prob. Original message- can anyone help.i have problems trying to encode an xvid file.every time i try opening the file to encode it the audio dissapears.it plays ok, only when i try to encode i get the probs.i ran it through GSpot, AVI fix, div fix,and still no joy.i also ran it through a protection detector and i got a message saying there were dummy files and i dont know how to get rid of these.when i open it in vdub theres still no joy.after weeks of trying my pc waves a big white flag at me and says i surrender please stop trying, its no use.can anyone please help.i tried vdub again and got the same story, once the audio sample reached 28243/215644(9722kb) vdub stops extracting.the log says processing thread has not cycled for ten seconds-possible livelock.any ideas

12. oliblake

oliblake Member

im trying to use TMPGENC express 3 and everytime i try to encode a video to mpeg, the vpfai server thing or what ever it is keeps crashing and an error pops up. why???!!? please help.

13. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

Joe777, have you tried converting your file with TMPGEnc plus? i use TMPGEnc plus v2.5 and have had no problems with it.

Run your file through gspot and post the results of the file here, someone might be able to help you more.

14. joe777

joe777 Member

yes my only friend, when i load it into tmpge it doesn't load any audio streams only video, it's very strange and i have never came across it before.I will load it into G spot and post the results in a mo.Thank you very much for helping, cheers

15. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

oliblake, is your hd partitioned? tmp could be looking at c: drive only which could be less than 4 gig.

The Priority of VFAPI Plug-In in TMPGEnc

* If TMPGEnc fails to read some kind of media files, make sure that responsible readers are right there.
    If TMPGEnc freezes when reading some kind of media files, try to modify the priorities of readers.
    On top of each reader, click right-mouse-button to modify the prioirty.

[​IMG]

you might want to get avicodec and Gspot, run your xvid file through either of them and it'll tell you what video/audio codec you need for the particular file.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]sony vaio P4 3Mhz
    512Mb
    sony dvd+/-rw dw-u14a
    ati radeon 9200[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  16. joe777

joe777 Member

File

Path - DVDScr.XviD-DiAMOND.avi
    size - 697 MB (or 714,134 KB or 731,273,216 bytes)

video

4CC - xvid Name - Xvid
    Runtime - 01:26:16 (124,101 fr) xy - 608x256 (2.38:1) [=19:8]
    Bitrate - 1004 kb/s FPS - 23.976 Qf - 0.269 bits/pixel
    Stat - 2 compatible codecs installed

Stream Type

Type - OpenDML AVI IMRR - 1.00
    I/L - 1 vid frame (42 ms), p=480 Split: No

Audio

stream 1> Name - 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Stat - 2 compatible codecs installed
    Bitrate - 118 kb/s (59/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90.™ Fs - 48000 Hz

Comments/Metadata

ISFT software nandub v 1.orc2
    Junk (asci)inj... nandub build 1852
    junk (asci)inj... release

Direct Show Render

video src type - 4cc: XVID audio src - blank
    Video path - (S) --> AVI Splitter --> XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder --> (R)
    Audio path - blank
    Status - rendering successful

17. bOuNcYoNe

bOuNcYoNe Guest

[bold]I have had the same prob as Joe777 in the respect that nobody has answered my post I have read through the threads if there is a solution that I have missed please tell me cause i cant fund it...[/bold]

Original Message:

Hi I have a prob I converted a Xvid to DVD format using GSpot , Virtualdubmod, TMPGEnc plus and TMPGEnc Author all goes fine till the Authoring process.

The created m2v file plays in full but after it is authored it is missing the last 10-15 minutes of the film..

Any Ideas what is going wrong?

P.S Great site tou have here :)

18. sam2wo

sam2wo Member

I got a prob with my conversion, I did every step in the guide here on the web, it all went great, i burned it nice with Nero, untill I put it in my dvd player. It switches to black and white, there's no sound, and the subs are gray, with no words. When I thought: maybe it's my player, i tried my PS2, it looked like it was gonna work, because there was colour, but it still didn't have sound, and it also didn't have subs anymore. HELP PLZ!!!

19. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

Joe777,

I take it you used gspot, sometimes that prog states you have the codec installed when it isn't there, try using avicodec and post again.

you can find avicodec here:

http://avicodec.duby.info/

20. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

sam2ow,

in TMPGEnc plus click the radio button to system( video+audio) on the start screen before you convert the file, that'll convert to one file containing both audio and video rather than splitting them. Try that and see what happens.