1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert Karaoke mpg file to avi file

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by Ainokea, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Ainokea

Ainokea Newbie

Not sure if anyone can help but I thought I would ask. I have mpg karaoke files which will not play in my PC software program. I need to conver the files to AVI or WMV but I need to preserve the audio channels to turn off the guide vocals. Can anyone help or suggest a program that may do this?

Thank you!

2. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

Karaoke disks are usually CD+G format.. an mpeg2 variant or mp3+g with embedded subtitles (which can be stripped out as .ssa or .srt) .. Now depending on how they were made or ripped in the first place they will either be easy to handle.. or a nightmare..

You need.. a free CD+G player .. look for one..

Avidemux - free.. 2.5 preferred to 2.6 which has limitations with subs..

Then get to converting/stripping the subs.. Of course they may be hardcoded (burned in) in which case you are pretty much stuffed.. unless you want to take the audio off and then replace the video part

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdgeditor/

3. Ainokea

Ainokea Newbie

Thanks for your reply ps355528!. These files are video karaoke files, also known as "Multiplex". Pioneer came out with these on laserdiscs back in the 90's. I'll check out Avidemux.

4. tictoksol

tictoksol Member

you can try winx video converter, the totally free version, not the paid one!!!

5. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

I don't think winx will handle cd+g files.. they aren't ordinary video content.. imagine a mp3 file with subtitles and no video content.. older laserdisk ones often relied on the hardware to supply the black&burst and overlaid the subs on that.. so think of a cda+ssa (or srt or sub) .. these things tended to be "one system" disks and manufacturer specific.. more common back when than you might imagine.. (grrr Yamaha Disklavier 720k floppies!!)