1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert mpeg soundtrack from stereo to mono

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Vster, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Vster

Vster Member

Long story, but I have a load of old VHS home movies that I've captured to mpeg with an Adaptec VideOh! capture card. The mpeg files are all fine EXCEPT for the minor problem of the sound track which is in the left channel only, and sounds odd when played over a surround sound setup... Trouble is all the kit (capture card, video camera, decent VCR machine, etc) has all gone back to it's respective owners so I can't re-capture it again.

The obvious fix is just to copy the left channel into the right (as it was all mono anyway), but I can't find any software to do this.

I tried with VirtualDub, but I get a "No video frames found in this file", playing the files with VideoLanClient plays them just fine (and it can play the sound correctly), and producing a DVD works fine too (apart from the sound), so the mpegs shoudl be OK.

Sorry for the rambling, Any ideas?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

try an audio editor program. two free ones are audacity and krystal. I personally have never used them (have much better, expensive audio shiznit) but they probably will be able to copy the audio. you will have to export the audio seperately after you capture, in WAV format for example, as they won't be able to read video files. The read easy way would to be getting a professional video editor, like adobe premiere pro, but I doubt you want to spend a few hundred dollars on it just for that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  3. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i would be tempted to rip the audio, use a bit of s/w called soundforge and downsample the sound to mono and stick it back into the mpeg file... you may even be able to open up the mpeg in the s/w... i never tried...