1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert mpeg to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdavid, Mar 31, 2004.

1. dvdavid

dvdavid Member

I have tried to convert an *.mpeg to a dvd or svcd format with MPEG4 direct maker, but he is doeing that very slow. The file size of the mpeg is 800 Mb. I estemate that it would take weeks before the convertion is done, i must be doing something wrong. I have a pentium4 3200 Mhz, with WinXP pro. Can anyone tell me what i do wrong? And why the convertion is going so slowly? Or what program could i better use? Nero is also going slowly when he converts to from an mpeg to svdc. And why can't we mount a cue or bin file directly to an DVD format?
    Can anyone answer and help me????

2. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

DVDs have to be in a particular format so that the player can read them, which means ifo structures and vobs.

I haven't heard of this program you're using, mpeg4 direct maker, but you want to convert you .mpeg movie into an mpeg2 video stream, which you can do with nero, pretty crappy, i've used a fair few and find mainconcept mpeg convertor to be fast and with good results.

Check google for a trial version. Once the file has been converted to mpeg2, mainconcept keeps vid and audio in one file, no need for muxifying. Open dvd labs or tmpengdvd author and load your new file, create menus or not, and off you go.

In relation to the time, on my pc, nothing like yours, mainconcept will encode an avi file in about realtime, perhaps a bit longerr ie a movie that goes for 1h 30mins will take about 1h 40-50mins, it's pretty damn good, on faster pcs i've heard it encoding even faster than realtime, nice.

3. dvdavid

dvdavid Member

Thanks for the advise. I have installed MainConcept MPEG Encoder and it toke 15 minutes to convert the mpeg. But it is now 3 Gig of size (and stil in mpg format). When i tried to burn it with nero, nero says that the file size is to large. And what to do with tmpengdvd progrma? i dont understand what tot do with it. How can i burn the file that i have converted witg MainConcept MPEG Encoder to my dvd burner?

thanks

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi dvdavid
    You cant just burn mpegs with nero. You need to use your TMPGEnc dvd author, to turn them into vob files, and then you can burn them with nero,or you can use author's writting tool.
    Look at this guide for author....http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=dvdauthor&name=tmpegencdvdauthor
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

5. koola

koola Guest

Hi,

This is how you convert mpegs to a DVD:

1. Use the MainConcept mpeg encoder to recode the file into a DVD compliant mpeg.

2. Load into TMPGEnc DVD Author and make your vob files. You can add menus etc in the process.

3. Burn using Nero etc. Use file mode and put all of your created files previously into the VIDEO_TS folder. Now just burn.

4. Done

Hope this clears the matter up!

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hmmmmmmmm i think i said that already, or the guide does.and he already used the mainconcecpt encoder,but maybe he'll like the info coming from you better.

7. daba

daba Guest

Hi dvdavid,

If you prefer all-in-one programs, try NeroVision Express (part of Nero 6). It will:
    - import your AVI/MPEG files and turn them into DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files,
    - allow you to build a menu for your DVD,
    - create the necessary IFO and BUP files,
    - burn the whole stuff to a DVD.

But be aware the image quality might not be as good as with MainConcept Encoder or TMPGEnc.