1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert Mpeg to nero compatible files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cjdj, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

Hi, can you help. I want to convert an mpeg movie file i've downloaded into a nero 6 compatible file which i think has to be a .VOB .BUP OR A .IFO. What program do i need??? I don't want to have to pay for the program , by the way. Also, i have backed up some of my dvd's using dvd shrink. I now want to put 2 dics onto a 4.7 gb dvd-r disc. How do I do this using nero 6. I've tried adding all of the files from the first disc into the video ts file but when i try to add the the files from the second disc it says something about the file is a special file. This means now that i can only burn one film onto one disc. I have checked that they will fit and they will. One dvd takes up less than half of my dvd-r disc so this means to me that i can fit two dvds onto it. Any help is appreciated. Thanx

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Need more information. Sounds like you are asking more than one question.

First, you ask about converting a downloaded mpeg file. Do you have Nero? If so, use NeroVision Express to add the mpeg to a "create movie" project. That will create the VOB/IFO files and VIDEO_TS folder.

Adding two movies to a single DVD is not going to work without some effort, even if the movies are small enough to both fit on a dvd. As you've learned the hard way, you cannot just add VOB files to a VIDEO_TS folder. In effect, you are going to have to [bold]reauthor[/bold] a dvd. You could do this, in a fashion, with NeroVision Express: create a project, add the VOB's from the first movie to the project, and then add the VOB's from the second movie. The main problem with that is that NeroVision Express will default to creating chapter entries for each VOB, and that probably is not what you want. What I'd suggest doing, is using NeroVision Express to add the VOB's from the first movie, and then chose "export": this writes everything to a single mpeg2 file. Then do the same for the second movie. Now use "create a movie" a third time using the two mpeg2 files. This will give you a lot more control over the chapter menu structure, and will allow you to easily use the menu to select between the two movies.

At lot of work, but I don't know of an easier way using just Nero.

3. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

thanks for your info. I've converted the mpeg files already and burnt the disc so i've sorted that problem. I still don't know about the second problem.
    I don't have vision express so is there any ohter program that is FREE that i can use?? Thanx

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

dvd shrink can reauthor, and create compilations.

5. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

i've tried but it causes too much hassle anyhting else?

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

too much hassle?

If what you want to do was easy, you'd have done it already, right?

I think you are going to have to decide if you want to do this bad enough to put up with the hassle.

7. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

can u guide me through how to do with dvd shrink then. THanx

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

9. Dru080

Dru080 Member

OK I downloaded a movie and I dont know what format it is in, Bu It opens in NeroVison 3. Im tryin to burn to a DVD or save as a IFO,VOB or BUP so i can burn a dvd using Nero but having trouble converting it. It only lets me save it as a NeroVision NVC*. How can I convert it?? Or burn it into a viewable DVD??? PLEASE ADVISE

10. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

av u tried right clicking on properties and looking at what format it's in. O r does it have an extension on the end of it's name such as avi, mpeg or divx etc.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, if you have downloaded files you have to convert and then burn. NVE 3 will do this and also allow you to create a custom menu with which to navigate your DVD if you wish. It also allows you to view your work with a software remote control so you can go back and correct any errors or change anything not to your liking.

If you have a movie on a DVD you can also use Nero Recode to do "movie only" as well as Shrink. You can use "Still Image" and maintain a working menu in either.

Nero Recode and Shrink 3.2 work almost exactly the same. With the exception of some minor differences and the fact that that Shrink rips but won't burn and Recode burns but won't rip.

If you wish to combine 2 movies on one disc, you can use Recode as well Shrink for that also.

Here are basic, simple, step by step guides for all 3 apps that may be of some help:

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

12. Dru080

Dru080 Member

Okay It worked with the Nerovision, But took a lil over 12 hours. Is there something wrong with my settings because I also used Recored Now, and it took so long Like days So I wouldent even use it.Is there any way I can make it burn faster? **I have external Sony DVD DRX-500UL With fire wire connection**

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It depends on the files. I've had NVE take as little as two hours to as much as 8 hours. I don't do a lot of downloaded files because the quality is not up to my standards usually. But even with DVD compliant files(like something I've recorded off TV), a 2 hour movie will take approx. 4 hours. So, if they're not DVD compliant, you can see how much time is involved.

I've seen TMPGEnc take much longer than that and it's not near as versatile as NVE and it won't allow menu authoring(you have to use TMPGEnc DVD Author for that, then you have the added time of it doing it's thing) and it doesn't burn either.

If I see they are gonna take a really long time I usually start it before I go to bed. Then they're ready when I get up or soon after.

Stay away from faster burns. You're just asking for trouble. Besides a burn at 8x from 4x is only about 5-7 minutes difference. Is it really worth it? Fast burns greatly increase the chance of burn errors not to mention the media is more expensive. I never burn movies over 4x and games over 1x.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sorry, I forgot. LOL A couple of things to check, if your PC is too slow.

Has your HD been defragged in a while?

Are your IDE ATA/ATAPI settings set to DMA?

Also, Lack of memory is the most common cause of performance problems in computer systems. How much RAM do you have?

15. mvolta84

mvolta84 Member

I;m making a compilation of .mpg files it plays fine but it won't skip or return in between clips.
    They are 11 separate clips so chapters can't be set(i guess)

What do i need to do?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

They are 11 separate clips so chapters can't be set(i guess)

Hmmm...why not? That's the great thing about menu authoring, you can set chapters, create a custom menu so you can navigate and go to any clip you wish. NVE 3 allows you to add as many files as you wish, providing they don't become too large for a DVD 5 disc creating poor quality from too much compression.

Have you tried NVE(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month.

Make sure you download and install all 3 packs of the trial version.

I also have a easy simple step NVE 3 guide I wrote that can help you in creating a DVD for your clips if you need it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  17. mvolta84

mvolta84 Member

ok i used nero vision express 2 and had no problems, the menu appeared with what i chose like preview on the buttons, music etc

But when i am playing one clip i can't skip to another using the DVD players skip button or go back.
    I need to go to the menu and chose another clip again.

What do i need to do to make them as chapters, i tried to make chapters but it chose one clip and let me create chapters in this clip. I do not know how to make the first clip i put in the 1st chapter, the second separate clip the 2nd and so on, so i can skip them like a regular movie since most clips are not related.

Also i put in a background song but the deal is i set the clips to be animated for 10 seconds and they start again, what the DVD does is animate and start the song then after 10 seconds it starts the song again and like the screen re-loads sort of, do i need to set the clip amount to the music time amount??

18. Dru080

Dru080 Member

LoL My HD is shyt. I just had to reboot me whole system from scratch. I dont have any anti virus softwear so I go thru that each month. and I try not to download movies, But my mom thinks "its So Cool" so there always buggin. And when it comes to Media I can get a 100 pack for $30. :) O yeeaaa. Bur alright thanks for the help.

19. Dru080

Dru080 Member

Oh yea and memorys not an issue I invested in one of those Maxtor 300GB external back up HD. and my IDE settings are set at Ultra DMA , 256MB RAM. and the night I posted that I let it burn when I was asleep.
    I dont know what kind of file if was it didnt say.

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mvolta84,

You need to add all the clips as one file. When your "add file" window pops up, hold your Ctrl key down and click on all your files before you add them. NVE will combine them and treat it as one file. You'll have to wait a little while for it to do this. Once it's finished the file will appear as one in the NVE window. Then go set your chapters at the beginning of each clip.

Also, I noticed you said NVE 2, you need to update to NVE 3. It's been so long since I used NVE 2, I'm not even sure of all it's options,LOL.