1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert .MPG to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by djash01, Aug 12, 2007.

1. djash01

djash01 Member

I am trying to convert my MPG file to DVD to play on my stand alone player.
    I have tried to use Nero Vision Express 3 and I get an error message telling me that the file can not be added.
    Is there a way to use Nero to convert .MPG to DVD or must I use another software? If so, what software should I use?

2. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I know you can convert mpg in Nero vision 4, but not sure about 3. If you want an easy program try convertxtodvd.

3. cmunguia

cmunguia Member

hey there there are many software out there to covert mpg to dvd like res2cue metioned convertxtodvd is good, there is also another one called dvdSanta
    you can use maybe check it out too and see what you think.

4. angechi

angechi Member

Like the two above... CONVERTXTODVD would be the easiest! trust me i've tried out alot programs... this one would probably give you the best results in quality, time, subing, encoding, and much more! I've tried DVDsanta but that was a failure on my part!

5. djash01

djash01 Member

Hey, thanks I will try CONVERTXTODVD and give you a heads up.
    I have NERO 6.0 OEM version and it is no help for this.

6. djash01

djash01 Member

Hey, is there any really good freeware for this purpose?

7. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If you already have NeroVision Express 3, then that should be all the software you need to make a DVD from an mpeg file.

Nerovision Express 3 can easily convert any mpeg file to DVD. I've used it to convert avi, mpeg1 and mpeg2 files to DVD, no problem. If NeroVision Express 3 is choking on your mpeg file, then I've got to think there's something up with your mpeg file.

Is there no more of a specific complaint from NeroVison other than "the file can not be added". NeroVision doesn't complain about the audio, video, filesize, anything specific? Can you play the mpeg file without problem in something like Virtualdubmod?

Quick test - Open your mpeg file in VideoRedoPlus, then save it. Run the saved file through NeroVision Express 3 and see what happens.

VideoRedo free trial:

http://www.videoredo.com/Products.htm

8. DJackhole

DJackhole Member

If your mpeg file is already dvd compliant then there is no need to "convert". You would just author the mpeg.

9. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

"If your mpeg file is already dvd compliant then there is no need to "convert". "

When I'm saying that NeroVision "converts" an mpeg file to DVD I'm using "convert" loosely to mean that NeroVison takes a standalone mpeg file and turns it into DVD files (Vob,Ifo,Bup). It converts (authors) the standalone mpeg file to DVD.

I'm not using convert to mean re-encode the file to DVD standards, although NeroVision will do that as well.

10. djash01

djash01 Member

I am using Nero Vision Express version 3.1.0.25 found on Nero OEM version 6.6.1.4.
    I believe that the file is not DVD compliant at this time.
    When I try to use Nero Vision Express I get the error message, "Unable to insert C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\file name.MPG"
    I downloaded the two software packages mentioned and I still got error messages like "Cannot detect file type" or "unable to open file".
    Any ideas?

11. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If neither Virtualdubmod nor VideoRedo can open the mpeg file then I would think it's corrupt. I'm not sure what you could do about that, though.

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If it's like most crippled OEM versions your Nero will not handle DVD work. You need the full version.

Notes:
    * Nero OEM Suite does not include the DVD Plug-In, which means that Showtime supports viewing of VCD movies but not SVCD or DVD video and Nero Vision Express supports burning of VCD but not SVCD or DVD Video.