1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thats alright..Minion..to err is human..to forgive is devine

2. MrPibbs

MrPibbs Member

I got too frustrated by this PAL to NTSC conversion, and just bought a DVD player that plays both formats perfectly.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

WOW Their..MrPibbs..Why did'nt i think of that!!I myself can't talk for the most on this here site who dabble in all this HULLABALU..But for me I like foolin with all these different programs..& learning all the technics & just seeing all the accomplishment that these guys have done towards this,so called can't or don't do society in which we live..even that DVD player U bought plays all your PALs & so forth..Just look at all the diff. Programs WOW !!Mine even plays Divx..Now where the hell did Divx come from Aye!Who the hell thought that up ! What the hell for..Well thats simple [just because someone wanted to improve something]

4. Street

Street Member

To be sure a more and more players are able to play not so much PAL & NTSC but all kinds of mpeg and other compressed formats. I like the mp3-to-DVD format that lets you put about 100,000 songs on a single piece of plastic and "air" them on a DVD player.

And, of course, there's a whole culture of "[bold]firmware hackers[/bold]" out there devoted to the task of figuring out how to defeat all the crap like Macrovision and "Region limits". If you have an APEX or something like that you can be pretty sure there's a Firmware Hack out there for you even if your player is years old.

Unfortunately I've been unable to find or create a firmwarehack for my SONY 400DVD changer--although there is a chip replacement available for it. I bought that 400 changer with a purpose and am still pretty happy with it.

BTW:
    MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.5 is now out!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  5. ziggy80

ziggy80 Member

I try to convert with PROCODER and it seems to do the conversion. I use Cyberlink audio decoder and I am able to get the audio. The audio is quiet, but I try to add an audio filter that raises the volume x2. It turns out OKAY, but not perfect. For some reason the original PAL version always seems to have good audio, but not my output in NTSC. I also end up getting allot of aliasing, and squares, artifacts here and there. Their not huge, but you can notice. Their not noticable on TV but sure are on the PC. Any ideas how to fix the artifacts and alisings? Thanx :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most artifacts you will see on your Monitor are because you are watching at full screen and a PC monitor has a Much Higher resolution than your TV or the Video file so it has to get resized to watch at fullscreen which degrades the quality...There aint Much you can do about that....

7. ziggy80

ziggy80 Member

The artifacts that I mentioned do not appear in the original PAL movie watched on my computer, they only appear after I convert to NTSC.

Under Frame Rate for the target I choose 29.976. The original PAL movie has 25 from what it shows (source). I only see two other options (for the target) to choose from.
    24p -> NTSC(3-2pulldown)
    23.976p -> NTSC(3-2pulldown)

My source is 25fps from what it shows so I dunno where this is coming from.

Could this have anything to do with the artifacts I am getting in my output?

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If I were you I would select the "23.976p -> NTSC(3-2pulldown)" Frame Rate setting when encodeing Pal to NTSC , This way instead of Converting 25fps to 29.976fps it Converts 25fps to 23.976fps and then assd 3:2 Pulldown flags to make up the 29.976fps Frame Rate, This way you sould get a Much smoother Flowing Image but I do not know if this has anything to do with the artifacts you are seeing....

9. ziggy80

ziggy80 Member

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Selecting 23.976p -> NTSC(3-2pulldown) seems to be giving a better output, I do not see the artifacts anymore on the one test I did so far:) I still don't get the technical aspect fully despite all the research I did. These differences of 23.976fps, 24fps, 25fps, what is the difference, and why all these standards? I'm also wondering, how much quality am I loosing by this conversion. Is there anything better outthere than the Procoder?

10. ziggy80

ziggy80 Member

Sorry, I misinformed alittlebit. I actually used the 24fps->NTSC setting for now, and that seemed to give no artifacts, which is good. I only did one test. I will now try the 23.976p -> NTSC(3-2pulldown) setting as suggested.

11. gkarlos

gkarlos Guest

First of all, Thanks to [bold]Minion[/bold], 'cause he really helped me in another subject about using CCE SP as the best to convert AVI to MPEG/DVD. The final result is really incredible!

I'm still have some problems, particularly because I discovered that some of my Movie AVI's are in PAL 25FPS and I'm getting crazy trying to configure the CCE SP. (I'm still using the trial version)

I've tried a lot... make hundreds of combinations, but still not working

If I set frame rate to 29.97 the DVD run smoothly on my 2 DVD players (Sony and Cyberhome). BUT there is an incredible audio off sync that I think is impossible to fix (its not linear delay)

But if I set the frame rate to 25 (resizing to 720x480), the audio is perfectly in sync with video BUT do not run on my Sony once the final DVD is really PAL (actually NTSC with wrong parameters).

Do you know how to adjust the frame rate without loosing the audio sync?

I've even tried using VSO DIVxToDVD... I think it's a little slower and the final results is far from what you get with CCE

I thought I could extract only the audio as a WAV and then combine it with the mpv generated by CCE. But the question is: How to guarantee the synchronism with the video?

I'm sorry if this looks like a 'dumb' question, but as you can see I'm a newbee

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  12. draven006

draven006 Member

Hi there,

I didn’t read the whole forum, but I have an answer for the conversion of PAL/NTSC to NTSC/PAL. and this will do the menus for you as well.

First run Voblanker, and select the input DVD. It will show you the Video Format, "right click" and select Video Attrib. now select the correct format you want NTSC or PAL.

Do this for all the VOB files you want to convert, then select a new output folder and click PROCESS!

This only changes the vob format not the menu yet.

Once the process is done, open IfoEdit and open the video_ts.ifo files from your new output folder.

On the first page it opens you will see in the bottom bigger window that the format is still NTSC (if that was the original DVD) but the rest will say PAL or vice versa.

"Double Click" the lines that have the wrong format for you and select the right format PAL/NTSC. Save the file.

Now open each ifo file and do the same saving each one.

Now burn using your favourite burning software and now the menus and the movie and even the extras are all in the right colour format for you.

Hope this helps.

In the next few days I will make images to go with this guide and post it as a New forum.

13. draven006

draven006 Member

hi there quick update

you dont need to use voblanker at all

just use ifoedit, and every time you see a desiered colour format you dont want just change it, do it with ever ifo file from the dvd and they are all on the first opening page when you open the ifo's so there is no need to search for them, they are all right there in your face.

have fun

14. mr570

mr570 Member

I need to thank everyone who recomended Nero Vision. It totally did the job for me. I was converting DV AVI PAL videos so that I could edit in Pinaccle. Nero Vision totally did the trick. Audio remained in sync, and framerate looks great!

Plus... it was super simple. No (de)muxing needed =)

15. montecary

montecary Member

I discovered it is very simple to convert a PAL format DVD to NTSC using only NeroVision Express. I am a real newbie and know nothing about any of the esoteric mumbo jumbo of VOB’s, fps’s or VTS’s. All I did was put the PAL DVD into my DVDRW drive. Started NeroVision Express and followed the idiot-proof onscreen prompts. The first screen will ask, What do you want to do? Choose the option: Make DVD >DVD-Video and click “Next” On the next screen choose the option: Import Disc>DVD-RW IDE 16X (or whatever drive you are using). The program will then inspect the DVD in the drive and show you the list of titles on the DVD. Simply choose the main title (or titles you want to include) and follow the step by step instructions, until it asks you if you want it to convert all to NTSC. (Choose “yes”) The program will then do all the transcoding and necessary steps and tell you when to insert your blank media and burn. It was surprisingly simple!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  16. montecary

montecary Member

I discovered it is very simple to convert a PAL format DVD to NTSC using only NeroVision Express. I am a real newbie and know next to nothing about any of the esoteric mumbo jumbo of VOB’s, fps’s or VTS’s. All I did was put the PAL DVD into my DVDRW drive. Started NeroVision Express and followed the idiot-proof onscreen prompts. The first screen will ask, What do you want to do? Choose the option: Make DVD >DVD-Video and click “Next” On the next screen choose the option: Import Disc>DVD-RW IDE 16X (or whatever drive you are using). The program will then inspect the DVD in the drive and show you the list of titles on the DVD. Simply choose the main title (or titles you want to include) and follow the step by step instructions, until it asks you if you want it to convert all to NTSC. (Choose “yes”) The program will then do all the transcoding and necessary steps and tell you when to insert your blank media and burn. It was surprisingly simple and played flawlessly!

17. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

yea....it does work flawlessly...
    but ur going to lose alot of quality.

i did find that if u tell nero to do 2 pass encoding it comes out
    decently but that was from a PAL format avi file so the quality was
    already low enough and it was a comedy movie without any action or
    anything that would make any quality loss obvious.

i will try a real dvd soon but even with 2 passes i doubt it will come out any better than it did last time i tried.

18. dll2hell

dll2hell Member

Minion --- you (as well as RebootJim) helped me sometime ago with my conversion of a PAL movie to a NTSC movie and now in process of doing another few without using dgpulldown and am using your AVS script w/ TMPGEnc that looks like this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2DEC3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ac3source.dll")
    MPEG2Source("F:\Demux DVD\PALmov.d2v")
    AC3Source("F:\Demux DVD\PALmov.ac3")
    AssumeFPS(23.976,True)
    LanczosResize(720,480)

Do i setup TMPGEnc like this then?

(a.) under settings selected 720x480, 16:9Display @ 23.976 Frame Rate,
    CQ for rate control, NTSC for video format and 3:2 pulldown when playback selected for Enclode mode and left other settings @ default.

You wrote: "Then encode to mpeg-2 at 23.976fps with 3:2 Pulldown and you will have a NTSC Mpeg-2 file with Perfectly in Sync audio...."

So now, do I select system (video only) or system (video+Audio) and insert path to ac3 for Audio Source?

When I did a trial run my Command line read like this:
    MPEG-2 720x480 23.976fps CQ65, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps when I selected system (video+Audio) but did not insert Audio Source.

I assume since the resulting mpg file had no audio that I should have put the path to the AC3 file in there? :) Right?

So if I insert audio source I will have a NTSC MPEG-2 file with audio added that is sync'ed up to video and will then just need to Author to create VOB's and then burn and won't have to use dgpulldown and then mux in audio later, correct?

Thank you and others for all your help...it is much appreciated!

19. dll2hell

dll2hell Member

Update: I ran the AVS script w/ TMPGenc with settings discussed and incl.path to AC3 file for Audio Source, however, NO sound at all, but a nice looking video :)

Plz help. Thanx

20. macmic

macmic Guest

I've been trying for several days now to write PAL AVI's to NTSC DVD, but without satisfactory results.

Nero 7 always produced a very jerky output, no matter what combination of options I used.

But, I've just tried a demo of DivxtoDVD, and that is far smoother, and given the far from perfect quality of the originals, I'd consider it "acceptable".

However, before I buy it, I'm also about to try a demo of ProCoder, so I'll let you know how that turns out. :)

Mac