1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. barben

barben Guest

Before all, I would like to remind everybody before attempting to do this project that their Nero Vision express is a REGISTERED one and at least the latest version. You will just waisting time if you don't have one. I had this problem ubtil I got the licensed one.
    VObmerge is a program to merge 2 VOB's. This has nothing to do with conversion and you can skip this portion if you are just starting.

2. barben

barben Guest

Converting to AVI then to DVD is a long process and waste of time since nerovison is accepting VOB's as a video files. When you add files using Video_ts, all Vobs's will show up.Highlight all this Vob's and nerovsion will accept this as video files. So, no need to convert to any other format. This is straight forward.

3. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

This is the reason I ask these questions, Barben. I have not used Nerovision before, I have been using Decrypter up to now. So, if I understand this correctly, nerovision is an encoder which will convert the PAL VOBs to NTSC? Is it then possible to burn the NTSC with Decrypter, or does it have to be Nero 6? If it must be done with Nero 6, it is a problem for me. Although I do have it, my computer is a P3 and does meet the minimum requirements for running it.

Thanks again for your help.

4. tort

tort Guest

PAL VHS Tapes to NTSC DVD?

Sounds like you sent it to a person using Consumer Grade equipment.

I only use Professional Conversion VCRs and DVDs with Digital TBC (Time Base Correction) which leaves the video in sync.

I could do it for you, you can email me for prices.

You need either a Professional with TBC Signal Converter or a Professional Multistandard VCR. With the Converter you'd need a PAL VCR.

You could also use Video Capture Hardware that supports NTSC/PAL video input, if you don't want the converter, but you'd need the PAL VCR, then you can use programs to convert the PAL to NTSC, such as Ulead Video Studio.

5. barben

barben Guest

After you created the DVD files on nerovision, you can use decrypter or any dvd burning software. The only problem is if the created video file is too large, so you have to compressed it again. In my procedure, I managed to create DVD with good video and sound without any regrets. You can use a lot of program to encode, transcode, burn, compressed but i believe for sure that the quality of video will decrease. So, in my opinion, the lesser program you use the better results you have. Bear in mind that experimenting with DVD is not cheap. I started with a lot of freeware before but I didn't go anywhere so I use a combination of freeware and commercial and that's where I achieved my goal...

6. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Well, I Shrunk the PAL DVD and tried to burn it using Nerovision without success. The problem is that the files are just a tad too large for the project, about .22 over. Another thing that concerns me is the TS folders cannot be imported into Nerovision. The audio files inside the Video TS folder can be added, but I wonder, will the DVD have no sound? Also, I got a message saying that the files were part PAL part NSTC and may not play properly.

I am now leaning towards ripping the DVD to AVI, using Cucusoft to encode to NTSC DVD, and hope I can then use Image Tool and Decrypter to burn it.

I also tried ripping it with Decrypter, and got an error message at about 91% complete.

Any ideas anyone?

7. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Barben, I converted it with Nerovision, it took almost 20 hours, now how do I use DVD2one to shrink it a little? Which files do I shrink? The project is not a movie, it's sections of three soccer games. Does DVD2one shrink the file and replace it in the same folder?

8. jkirk7

jkirk7 Member

Minion, your answers have worked great for me. Thank you.

Jeremy

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  9. rbcunha

rbcunha Member

Minion,

Thank you for a very instructive insight on converting those standards.

You wrote:
    "...then you just Mux the AC3 with the encoded Mpeg2 file and author it to DVD..."

Since PAL (625/50) is 25 fps and NTSC (525/59.94) is 29.97 fps, wouldn't I need to synchronize the audio with the converted video before authoring to DVD?

Renato

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the audio and Video files are the same length then they should sync Up properly when Muxed together...Cheers

11. buckv

buckv Member

I understand and have converted Pal to NTSC using Canopus Procoder 2.0, but I am wondering if there is a way to keep the menus that go along with the original Pal title. Currently, I rip the PAL disc using DVD decryptor(Demuxing the video and audio). I then convert the Video using Canopus and import the converted video and the ripped audio into DVD Architect to make my NTSC title. Again, is there a way to just load the Pal files into Canopus with keeping the entire disc, menu etc.?

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you Can do is use DVD Decryptor to Rip the Menu"s off of the DVD...If they are Just Still Menu"s you can load the Vob file that Has the Menu on it into Tmpgenc and save the menu as a BMP or JPG File that you can import into your DVD authoring program as a Menu and if the Menu"s are Motion Menu"s you can use a Mpeg editor like Mpeg2VCR to edit the Motion menu out of the Vob file and save it as a Mpeg2 file that you can use as a Motion Menu in your DVD authoring Program....

I have done this Quite a Few Times and it can be Tedius and a Bit complicated but if Done correctly can look allmost exactly like the Original DVD....

You know you will get a Much Better quality Pal/NTSC conversion if you use AVISynth to Slow the Pal 25fps Video down to 23.976fps and encode it to NTSC at 23.976fps with 2:3 Pulldown...

This is the same Type of Method the use in Studios to Convert 23.976fps NTSC Film footage to 25fps Pal for Viewing of North American movies in Pal countries...

I have used AVISynth to do this Many times and works Perfectly with no artifacts at all....

Cheers

13. buckv

buckv Member

Thank you for the info. I wonder if this is what Procoder does when it converts because I really can't see a difference???? What do you think?

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Canopus procoder uses Frame and Field Interpolation to Convert Frame rates, It is a better method than Frame Decimation and duplication which is used in most other Mpeg encoders but it isn"t as Good a Method as Slowing down or speeding up the Video to change the Frame rate but this only works when going from Progressive Pal 25fps to 23.976fps Film rate or from 23.976fps to 25fps....Speeding up and Slowing down also doesn"t work when converting Interlaced Material unless you De-interlace but that causes artifacts of it"s own....

Cheers

15. buckv

buckv Member

How does one know what kind of Pal disc a person has? What happens to the audio when you speed up or slow down the video? Are there any good guides out there which show how to convert using your method?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most Pal Files that are Originally from a DVD are going to be Progressive....

When you Speed Up/Slow Down the Video you also have to do it with the audio so that they stay in Sync.....

I usually use "AVISynth" when converting Pal AVI files to NTSC Mpeg files because AVISynth can slow down the Video and Audio while Frameserveing to the encoder so that the audio and Video stay in Sync....

When Converting Pal Mpeg2/Vob files to NTSC I also use AVISynth but only on the Video and after Slowing down the Video and converting to Mpeg2 for DVD I check the Length of the Video file and then use a Program called "GoldWave" to Slow Down the audio so it is the exact same length as the Video file and that makes them Sync up.....

AVISynth is a Bit tough to learn but once you do it is an Invaluable tool...I probably use AVISynth as my Main Video Processing Tool cuz it can do so much from color correction to Cleaning up Noise and Convert frame rates and de-interlace and colorspace conversions and so Much more....

I do not know of any Guides that use the same method that I do but the Method I use I have been perfecting for about the last year....I guess I should work on a Guide on how to Convert Pal/NTSC formats useing AVISynth......

Cheers

17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As many times as you've helped people with it, that would be an excellent idea.

18. buckv

buckv Member

A guide would be awesome! I want to do the best Pal to NTSC transfer I can possibly get.

19. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

I just converted the same DVD as before, this time using #1 DVD ripper to rip the DVD to XVID AVI in PAL format, which I then converted to NTSC VOB files using Nerovision.

The NTSC copy is almost perfect. I can see some difference, on an LCD monitor, I estimate I won't be able to tell a difference when the DVD is burned and viewed on a regular television.

I guess #1 DVD ripper is better than smart DVD ripper, and more conducive to conversions than Decrypter or DVD shrink, although it obviously takes much longer.

The DVD I ripped was a TV program, digitized using a video capture device and burned onto a DVD. I think industry DVDs would be of better video quality than this one.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

You are Looseing quality and wasteing time when compressing to XviD first and then encodeing to Mpeg..
    XviD is a Very Lossy format and so is Mpeg2 so the less Conversions you do the better the Final DVD will look....

When useing a high Quality Mpeg encoder Like CCE SP I can Fit 2 Full DVD quality movies on a single DVD-R while keeping it in the Full D1 DVD format....