1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. buckv

buckv Member

Cinema Craft Encoder SP (CCE) is better than Canopus Procoder 2.0?

2. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Cinema Craft Encoder SP (CCE) is better than Canopus Procoder 2.0?

It costs 4X as much as Canopus, about $2,000...

3. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Minion wrote:
    You are Looseing quality and wasteing time when compressing to XviD first and then encodeing to Mpeg..
    XviD is a Very Lossy format and so is Mpeg2 so the less Conversions you do the better the Final DVD will look....

When useing a high Quality Mpeg encoder Like CCE SP I can Fit 2 Full DVD quality movies on a single DVD-R while keeping it in the Full D1 DVD form

How is the speed of CCE compared to Nerovision or Canopus?

I don't want to make a habit of converting PAL to NTSC, in this case the PAL DVD is from a TV program. The conversion to AVI and then NTSC VOB produced very watchable results. I am satisfied with the outcome. The first time I converted PAL VOB files to NTSC VOB files with Nerovision, and they came out crap. I am sold on #1 DVD ripper.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well CCE SP is Probably the Fastest encoder on the Market, On my P-4 2.6ghz HT CPU I can encode to DVD at close to twice real time but CCE is fairly hard to learn how to use Because you allmost allways have to frameserve to it because it doesn"t have any Filters Like a resize filter so you have to use a frameserver to resize the resolution or to add any filters...

CCE is especially good at encodeing Progressive sources and can achieve extremely high quality at very Low Bitrates...I can encode to high quality DVD useing a Bitrate not much higher than you use to encode to SVCD which allows me to get 3 or even 4 hours of video on each DVD at full D1 resolution....

When I have the Time I will Write a Guide on how to convert Pal/NTSC useing AVISynth and CCE SP... I don"t have a pal DVD so I will probably have to make one so i can use it in the Guide to convert it to NTSC.......Cheers

5. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

CCE is $2,000, so I doubt that I will ever use that.

I have converted a music DVD from PAL to NTSC, and it was easily done with Nerovision, which converted the PAL AVI to NTSC VOB files. It is the soccer PAL DVD I have trouble converting to NTSC.

It is in 3 parts, I ripped all three into AVI files, tried to get Nerovision to create VOB files, and it told me the project is too large.

The question I have is this:

I would like to create two VOB files using Nerovision: one, containing two small AVIs, the second one containing the third, large AVI. If I then merge the two VOBs using VOBmerge, will I be able to keep the menus and chapters created with Nerovision?

Thanks in advance.

6. style2004

style2004 Guest

One DVD player I have not seen mentioned here is the APEX player it plays both PAL and NTSC no recoding for PAL DVDs I use my Sony player for just NTSC and the APEX for the PALs it has a digital audio out I picked mine up at Walmart for 35.00 dollars it is model AD-1110 it has worked perfectly for all my PAL dvds.hopefully this helps a little with the PAL,NTSC problem

7. polpo

polpo Member

I agree that Minion's method is the best and does the least damage to the original source, as it's simply a reversal of the PAL conversion process. Also, another artifact of many PAL conversions is that while the audio is sped up, the pitch goes up a third of a semitone. This is especially noticable with any music or if there are actors whose voices you know well. So, make sure that your timestretch *doesn't* preserve pitch. Sound Forge's does, but Adobe Audition (aka Cool Edit Pro) has an option to not preserve pitch; this works perfectly. People with perfect pitch in Europe must go nuts watching movies with music on them on DVD!

I do have a couple of clarifying questions for Minion:
    1. In your avisynth script, the line to convert to 23.976fps is "AssumeFPS(23.976)", correct?
    2. I've found that simply stretching the audio by 104.2709% (25fps/23.976fps) results in slight loss of sync later in the movie. So, simply making sure lengths are exactly the same is the best way, like you said. What is the most accurate method to get the length of the video in order to match up the audio?

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, If you use this Command the audio and the Video get slowed down at the same time so they stay in perfect sync...

AssumeFPS(23.976,True)

The other way would be to Just stretch the audio to the exact length of the Video but since i have been letting AVISynth handle the audio and Video I haven"t had any problems.....Cheers

9. wld16

wld16 Member

Hey Minion, it seems like you know pretty much everything about avisynth, I was just wondering if you could help me out on converting a PAL dvd to a NTSC dvd? I've been looking for a guide for 2 days now and nothing seems work for me.
    thanx!

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have allready Posted the AVISynth Script command for Converting Pal to NTSC which is:

AssumeFPS(23.976,True)

What else do you need to Know???

11. javonaso

javonaso Member

I have a Pinnacle Studio AVDV PCI video capture card that will only allow me to capture video in NTSC format.
    I have some tapes in PAL format that I would like to burn to DVDs.
    Is there any software or decoder that will allow me to convert the signal from PAL to NTSC to be able to capture the video on these tapes?
    If there isn't, do is there any way that I can do that with this card?

If anyone knows, please help me.

Thanks.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is No Software that can do that...
    I actually do not know of any way to Capture Pal Video with a NTSC capture device accept for getting a NTSC VHS Player than can Play NTSC and Pal which would Convert the signal to NTSC when outputing to the Capture card....

That is wierd that your card can not capture Both Pal/NTSC as Most of the Capture devices I have owned Could capture in Pal and NTSC...
    What Type of Decoder Chip does your Card use for Analogue Capture???

13. Packy8739

Packy8739 Guest

HELP!! Ive read all these little help files and still can't figure out what the heck is going on? I found a small patch for changing from PAL to NTSC,IfoEdit, but it made the dvd stop and go, not bad enough, not to be able to watch, but not smooth. I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to backup my dvd's and nero to burn. What else do I need and why?

14. javonaso

javonaso Member

I really have no idea, the the board has printed Pinnacle Systems Bendino V1.0A on it and the largest Chip has:
    Pinnacle Systems
    F Japan
    MB87J3560
    0414 Z88

hope this helps.

Thanks.

15. tort

tort Guest

Posted this before, maybe in another thread. I sent email after email to Pinnacle until they finally sent me the FULL Studio 9 Version. They kept telling me that the US Versions only capture in NTSC, you have to buy the PAL CD for $25.00. I explained to them that every other capture card and software made provides you capturing in NTSC/PAL/SECAM.

But then, you need to have a PAL/SECAM VCR to play them.

Studio does NOT convert PAL to NTSC, so you'd have to use Ulead Video Studio, or some other software to do it.

I suggest buying the Multisystem SAMSUNG VCR, and have it convert the PAL to NTSC, with it's built in Digital Converter with TBC, the conversion is flawless.

16. javonaso

javonaso Member

Thank you so much for your answer, I already have a VCR that plays PAL.
    One last thing, can you tell me where can I buy the PAL CD? Or how did you do to make them send you a FULL version Studio 9 for free?

Thank you again.

17. oblius

oblius Member

Easy solution:
    http://www.daiwadvd.ca/dvd_6038.htm

$169 CDN at London Drugs.. plays PAL DVD's nicely. A little bit of jitter on subpictures (menu), but still very readable / usable.

18. Tovan_69

Tovan_69 Member

need help...

i'm tried to convert a pal movie into ntsc with canopus procoder, and i succeed, but i have no sound at all, what i'm doing wrong?

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there could be a Few Reasons....
    Like depending on your settings Procoder will create a seperate audio and Video file so look for an audio file in the same output directory as the Video file...

Also if you used a VOB file as your Video source or you used an AVI file with AC3 audio or VBR Mp3 audio you wouldn"t get any audio because Procoder and Most other encoders do not support Encodeing source files with Dolby AC3 or VBR Mp3 audio in the file....
    So if your source File is a VOB file you should demux it into seperate audio and Video files and encode just the Video and save the audio to use when authoring to DVD and if your Source file is an AVI file with VBR Mp3 or AC3 audio you will have to decode the audio to Wav format and use that as the audio source in Procoder......

20. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

Does any know if you can use these methods to convert PS2 games from PAL to NTSC?