1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert region 3 to region 1

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ibalik, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ibalik

ibalik Member

i have a region 3 DVD (house of flying daggers) and was wondering how to go about converting it to region 1 so i can view it on my set top DVD player.

i tried doing it anyway, but DVD shrink first gave me an option to convert my DVD burner (NEC 3520) to read region 3 DVD. i did so, and burned it regularly.

i thought that once burned, the copy would be coverted to "ANY" region.

is there a simple way to do this?

thank you

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

There is a simple way of doing it without changing the code in your burner as you only get 5 goes at that and then that's it.
    I use a program called DVD Region + CSS Free, and when you insert a disc into your DVD ROM/Burner it makes that DVD disc appear region free, so you are able to watch it. You can also use a program called AnyDVD.
    When you burn a DVD the program will come on in the background and will make your copied disc region free as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i personally make all copies region-less via the setting in Shrink. Plus I don't have the 5region changes problem, as on any drive i buy, whether it's a dvd reader or writer, i always get region-free firmware. Can't remember if it's rpc1 or 2 that does it. Anyway that coupled with the setting in Shrink is as easy as pie for me. No region problems on originals/copies/or on standalone players/PS2 etc

Rich

4. ibalik

ibalik Member

it did prompt me to change my dvd region from 1 to region 3. how do i go about changing it back to it's original setting?

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

Just do the same with a region 1 dvd as you did with the region 3 and it will ask you to make it region 1 again.

6. ibalik

ibalik Member

thanks for the help. i actually managed to change it back by right clicking on the drive, and go to properties.

also, im using the dvd region css free (trial version) and it worked.

thanks again.

7. bardie

bardie Regular member

That's great.
    I have used that program for a year or so now and I love it. AnyDVD does the same thing, and has a trial period too.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What video format is that region 3 dvd in? If its in PAL format it won't play on a region 1 player regardless of the region setting. Region 1 is NTSC video format. You will need to convert the PAL to NTSC with something like Nero Vision Express to get the NTSC format.

Jerry