1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert VCD to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by smushtaq, Feb 7, 2005.

1. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

I need some help converting a movie that was recorded from VHS to VCD onto a DVD. The movie was split onto 4 different discs and saved as .dat files. I have extracted and converted all 4 files to .mpg format on my pc. The files are roughly 500 MB each. I would like to combine all 4 files onto one DVD disc which can be played on any standard standalone DVD player. I have tried to use the DVD authoring functions in Nero and Roxio w/o much success. In Roxio, if I import all 4 VCD files the project size balloons to 16GB! I tried to search Google but the majority of the links seem to be about going from DVD to VCD. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Thank You,
    Shahab

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm

hope this help.
    there's one step you could skip.

the upsampling of the audio. like my player, it can plays
    at both 44khz and 48khz, so there's no need for conversion. but sinde you'r player doesn't play vcd, i guess its better to upsample

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

And remember, putting many VCD movies on 1 DVD is good, converting VCD mpeg-1 in to a DVD mpeg-2 ia a waste of time and resources with no gain in the final quality.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  4. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

thank you for the quick reply. I was able to use TMPGNe to extract the audio and the video files. However I run into the same problems when I try to create the DVD. Roxio won't recognize the file format .m1v, Nero says that all files over 2 GB have to be in .ISO format and Sonic MyDVD will allow me to import the file into the proj. but not allow me to burn the DVD.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Alas, making a DVD movie is a thing, authoring a DVD is another one.
    On http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm you see, on our guide:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Finally, you need to author the DVD using the .m1v file you got from the demuxing process and the new .mpa file you just created. Just to avoid confusion, go ahead and delete the 44.1kHz .mp2 file you created by demuxing the original video stream.

I wont explaing the authoring process in this guide as there are several different DVD authoring tools and each of them work differently. Most of the tools accept the idea to make "DVD-VCD"s, but some of them don't. Good old [bold]SpruceUp[/bold] which is not sold anymore, supports VCD video on DVD. Also [bold]DVDIt[/bold] should work just fine. But according to VCDHelp.com, ULead DVD MovieFactory doesn't allow this and myDVD tries to re-encode the video into MPEG-2, spoiling the whole idea behind DVD-VCD and those tools should therefore be avoided in this process
    ----------------------------------------------------
    and no other authoring DVD applicaton is suggested (alas, I don't know a new one).

But in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/multiple_svcd_on_dvdr.cfm the use of MPEG-VCR (Womble MPEG Editor) to create a big DVD stream from many SVCD movies is suggested ([bold]Merging segments to make full movie files[/bold]). Try it (I neved did, sorry).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Author your VCD or SVCD to DVDR directly in DVDLab.
    It tosses up a warning about VCD mpeg-1 streams, but it will author and burn and play in most players.
    I do it all the time.
    If your VCD's are in .dat format, rip them to mpeg using VCDGear (it's free), then import the mpegs into dvdlab.
    I have a guide on this at videohelp.com (username reboot).

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Good point, rebootjim!

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Actaully the SIF DVD Standard and the VCD standard are allmost exactly the same accept for the Audio frequency so most DVD authoring Programs should be able to handle these Files.....

9. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

I found a program called WinAVI that will convert an mpg file to VOB. I only tried it once, it took a roughly 2 GB mpg file and converted it to a 14GB VOB file - with the video quality setting set at highest. I didn't actually play the VOB file on my computer to see if the quality was any better than the original 600 MB .DAT VCD file. Will keep you updated.

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

WinAVI just re-encodes an already compliant encoded file. Why do it twice? What a waste of time.
    Are you purposely avoiding DVDLab?

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

VCD Mpeg files are allready DVD Compliant (Accept for the audio) so there is No need to re-encode the File as re-encodeing will Just Ruin the Quality...It is "Impossible" to Take a File and re-encode it and end up with a File that has better quality than the source file, so what you are Trying to do By re-encodeing the File is Not a Good Idea...

Just download the Trial version of DVDLab Pro and it will Put your VCD files on to DVD without re-encodeing so there is No Quality Loss and you can Fit up to 4 full VCD Movies on a Single DVD-R...It is as easy as Pie....

Cheers

12. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

I didn't read the post about DVDLab until this morning, will give it a try tonight. Combining 4 vcd discs onto one dvd is my main objective along with the disc being able to play on standard dvd players.

13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Sorry :D
    If you want to fill the disk, I suggest you get 4 more VCD's. One DVDR can hold about 8 VCD's.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Fit 5 maybe 6 VCD Disks(5 x 800mb= 4gb) But only 4 - 5 Full Movies as Most Movies have to go on 2 CD-R"s if they are Over 80 minutes...

You can get 7.5 hours of Video useing a Bitrate of 1135kbs for Video and 224kbs for Audio which is about the Standard Bitrate for VCD....

Cheers

15. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

Ok so I downloaded Dvd-Lab but need some help using it. Is there a guide for using it to build dvd files?
    thank you
    shahab

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t know if anyone mentioned this But you have to use DVDLab pro to put VCD Files on to DVD because the Basic Version doesn"t support Mpeg-1 files....

I can give you a Basic explanation of how to do it but first you will have to tell me what type of DVD you want to make, Meaning do you want a single Movie with a Menu or Menu"s and Chapters or do you want a DVD with Just a Movie and no menu"s or do you have Multiple Movies you want on the same DVD with Menu"s and Chapters??
    It would help in in explaining it to you...

Cheers

17. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

18. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

Here is what I am trying to do. I have a wedding video that was copied from VHS to VCD on 4 separate discs. The video comprises of 3 different functions and was originally recorded on to the VCD's in .DAT format. I would like to take these 4 files which are roughly 500-600 MB each and put them all on 1 DVD which can be played on any DVD player. Additionally if possible, I would like to learn how to edit the movie so that I can add menus, chapters, graphics, etc.
    Thank you,

19. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get VCDGear. Use it to extract .dat to .mpg
    Name your mpg's in the order you want them.
    Load them all into dvdlab.
    Add menus, transitions, whatever, compile and burn.
    If you want to actually cut portions of the mpg's, or put things INTO the mpegs (fades, cropping, etc) you need a good editor, like Premiere or somesuch.

20. smushtaq

smushtaq Member

I've been working with DVDLab Pro and not having much luck. I import my first vcd which has been converted to .mpg format and get a prompt to demux the audio. I leave the default settings as they are and choose yes;the demuxing begins but never finishes. One the status bar it shows 91 % completed but it doesn't go any further than that. I let it sit for a couple of hours thinking that it may take some time but it never completed. This has happened multiple times. Any suggestions?