1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converted Avi files won't play

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ocean60, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ocean60

ocean60 Member

Hello, I'm new here and hoping someone with better pc skills then myself can assist me please. I got some movie files from a newsgroup and all had different file formats. I used a converter for achieving different formats. I chose Avi because I want to play the disc in my home Dvd player which I've done this before with no issues. After I convert to Avi I use a program vso Copy to Dvd and chose the "Data feature" to get them all on the one disc. When I put the disc in my dvd home player I got an message saying codec not supported for each movie. If I use Convert X to dvd there is no problem, but this program can only do one movie per disc and takes a long time to complete.I want to make a Data disc if possible. I don't know how to correct this. Can you please assist me? Thank you in advance. P.S. Please explain in simple terms if you can as not that great on pc yet.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Assuming you have these avi files in a folder on the PC (or the disk) drag them one at a time into MediaInfo and find out which codec is being used.
    For playback on a standalone player that is DivX certified, the codec should be either XviD or DivX.
    Generally, the audio codec is AC3 or MP3.

The maximum resolution for the video is 720x576.

[​IMG]

3. ocean60

ocean60 Member

4. attar

attar Senior member

If you want AVI files compatible with a standalone player, try this setting.

[​IMG]