1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converted file is to big to burn onto a 4.7gb dvdr

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 007JUK, Feb 23, 2007.

1. 007JUK

007JUK Member

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a 800mb XVID file that I have converted using WinAVI. WinAVi generated a 4.96gb VoB file. Used Nero selected Photo and Video/burn dvd video files but message popped up stating not enough room on media. How can I get this file onto the dvdr, will I have to purchase dual layer media?

Another question if I wanted to burn the basic XVID file onto DVDR then how would I do that. I tried making a data dvd using nero but it never played on my dvd player.

I would like to play these files on a stand-a-lone dvd player.

A friend suggested using (1clickdvdcopy5) it generated a dvdr containing 1.5gb of data but when I played on my dvd player it was very sticky and freezing all the time.

Many thanks to all who reply

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Using Nero you can lower the quality a bit so it can fit.

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

dvd shrink will do the trick for you

4. 007JUK

007JUK Member

Hi, I'm using nero v6 and the only thing I can see is dvd overburn, but it only lets you overburn to 4.6gb.

5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Hmm, A 800mb xvid To a 4.96gb vob sounds a little too big, how long is the video? I'm not familiar with winavi but I would suggest adjusting advanced/quality settings if it has that option. If not you should use a different encoder like cce or Tmpgenc, They both give a lot of options and tell you how big the final file size will be.

With Nero you want to use the "create video DVD" option. Here you can drop a avi (divx or xvid) onto the disk and Nero will encode it for u (although not very well) you will also be able to lower the quality like chubby said.

You can try overburn if u have extra disks but it usually results in a coaster. Same with DVD9 - very few DVD players support DVD9's I've never personally had one work outside of a PC, (testing on two different samsung players and a ps2) but u might get lucky.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

use The FilmMachine a free awesome app for avi to dvdr! i use it.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you already endoed the file, rdmercer1 gave the good answer.

Please note that I never used WinAVI, so I'm doing by trial.

1) press the DVD button and load your movie.
    2) in the following screen, press [advanced]

B) On the OPTION screen, on the [detail] tab you will see:
    1) Video Info (AVI codec, resolution and so on)
    2) Audio Info (usually MP3 (CBR or VBR) or AC3, 44100 or 48000 Hz). The audio type (MP3 or AC3) is seen under (AudioCodec).
    If the audio is MP3 CBR the number will uaually be 96000, 112000 or 128000 (seldom 160000 or 192000) [bps]; if the audio is VBR you'll read a different value, for instance 109608. If the audio is AC3 ('unknown') the bitrate will be 384000 or 448000 [bps].

On the [encode] tab you can clip the picture, if the AVI had black borders.
    On the [DVD] you must set, on Output setting:
    - target format: PAL or NTSC
    - constant video size. Nuber of discs: 1; Disk capacity: 4300 MB
    - audio bitrate: the AVI audio bitrate
    - aspect ratio : Auto
    - Preference: by quality

WinAVI will encode the video + will author the MPG in a VOB set.

I don't know if WinAVI will create an un-sync movie, if the audio was encoded MP3 VBR, buy you can read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/190445#1015934 to learn how to create an AVI with CBR audio doing
    a) extract the audio with VirtualDub;
    b) encode the audio CBR and
    c) replace the VBR audio with a CBR stream using VirtualDubMod
    d) save the new AVI with VirtualDubMod set on Video__Direct Stream Copy.

I really don't know why the output size you had was too large; did you chose a wrong output size?

Please note, I'm using v7.7 trial, not a commercial version, since I usually work with TMPGenc.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  8. skyhaha

skyhaha Member

Yes,you can try to reduce the converted file size,maybe then can suit for your disc.When convert with WinAVI,if you select constant video quality,can select low or lower for quality,that may make the file smaller,but the video will not so bad.And don't forget the "preference",select speed,also can reduce file size.

The constant video size is at the mention of aldaco,I don't need to repeat.Wish you can do.