1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convertinf avi to cdv problem??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Scott2hot, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Scott2hot

Scott2hot Guest

I am having problems trying to convert avi and Divx films to vcd!!
    I Use Virtualdub to create the audio, which is then combined with the same avi file using TMPGEnc to convert both to Mpeg 1(Pal), which is then burned to vcd using VCD Easy!!
    The problem is I get lots of error's and don't know the correct settings to ensure I can burn both audio and video to play back on my stand-alone dvd player.

I am very new to this and find it fustrating when all I want to do is burn and watch some home movies..!!
    Hope someone can help me to get burning!!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm not really sure about the way you are trying to do that (make mpeg or avi into VCD). I do have a question. Do you have Nero? If you do this can all be done very simply in Nero and with menu's and all. Which I'm pretty sure you cant do with TMPGEnc. Try down loading the trial version of Nero, and see how you like it I think you will be impressed as to how easy you can do exactly what you are trying to do. When and if you do use Nero just go to Nero Vision Express and select Make CD then VCD and it will walk you threw the whole process. I just thought I would give you another option. I havent used TMGEnc in a long time, but I do use Virtual dub a lot. In virtual dub you can create both the audio and the video so why do you use TMPGEnc? I was just curious I would just try using dub and set up your Video Compression settings to 352x288 pixels and 25 fps that should make your video VCD Compliant. I would give Nero a try though you will be glad you did. A lot less headache Nero will do all the thinking for you...
    Good Luck :)

3. Scott2hot

Scott2hot Guest

Ok..Thankyou for that. I do have Nero 6 and have tried to covert avi and divx films allready, but a lot of the time it aborts and informs me that the format or codecs are wrong. Also the files are often to large, which means Nero will not burn as the CD-RW's are only 700mb. I am still getting to grips with all the technical info regarding Mpeg etc...so it all still seems a bit foreign to me. I would like to get hold of a good Editing program and wondered whether or not Virual dub will do all the edditing and conversion. I also need to get a plug in for nero which deals with Svcd. I will try once again to burn with nero and will let you know how I get on...!!
    MAny regards...Scott!! Burn baby burn................

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok let me know how it works out for you. Remember to use nero vision express

Good luck :)

5. Scott2hot

Scott2hot Guest

Ok..tried to download Nero 6 demo, but It would not let me use the program without a serial number. To be honest I am fed up trying and now consider buying a copy of nero instead. By the way, I have managed to get a demo of a convertor, but it will only convert 1 minute of film. Nevertheless, it did work and I actualy managed to copy the film and watch it on my dvd. If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate it if you could fill me in.. Later!!

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You have to make sure get completely rid of any previous Nero versions from your computer that is why it is still asking for a serial number..