1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting 3 Hour Movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by champman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. champman

champman Member

I have got into the swing of things using DVD Shrink 3.1 to rip some DVD disks but I encountered a problem when it comes to trying to fit a 3 hour movie on a DVD+R disc.

I can't span the video to fit on two discs because the main video is one section and can't be seperated. I've put a three hour video on disk but the quality is a bit dodgy.

I'm getting funny looking squares on my disc thats hindering the quality I am trying to keep. The compression was only 35%. You notice it more when there are action scenes and you can see the picture trying to focus.

Does anyone know how to improve the picture quality, by the way, I have used Deep Analysys and that's having very little impact on the final video files.

I've also tried Nero Recode but it actually makes things a bit dodgy.

I'm using well-known brands of DVD disks and have a very good writer. There must be something else that needs doing but what is it?

Any ideas would be grateful in relation to this topic. Thanks for helping me in the past, hope you can do the same again.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi champman,
    You are compressing enough to cause problems like you mentioned.
    Is there some reason you can't have it on two discs?
    There is a cool way to use Shrink and split it wherever you like, especially if it has chapters.

This is what I do:
    First disc, open disc> re-author main title only> use start end feature to select the first half of the chapters (ie Chapters 1-12 for a 24 chapter movie)> Burn the Disc.
    Second disc:
    Same thing, just select the second half of the chapters and burn your second disc.

If your movie doesn't have chapters, just pick a scene change around the middle of the movie and do your split there.

Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  3. rainier

rainier Guest

Hello Champman,
    I agree it's pretty simple to split into two discs using dvd shrink like the above post says, but if you're determined to keep it to one disc, I would suggest trying Pinnacle Instant copy. You can download a 15 day trial. From my experience, for longer movies (2.5 - 3 hours) or 25+% compression, Instant copy consistently produces a higher quality video than dvd2one or dvd shrink, or dvd xcopy xpress. It takes longer (2 hours in high quality mode) but worth it.

4. champman

champman Member

Thanks fasfrank, I like your idea. I thought I would have to put up with this quality. I'll give it a try and see how it turns out.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To be honest id just stick on 2 discs and stay with the high quality. Rip and dont compress with shrink, DVD Decrypter or smart-ripper. Open up TMPGEnc DVD Author and add new files. Add each of the VOB's untill you fill one disc. Then add the second set to the second disc. Create your own menus. There is a guide in my signature.