1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting a LCD Monitor to a tv, Help please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dward, Aug 15, 2014.

1. dward

dward Member

Hi Everybody-

I am trying to figure out how to and what I'll need to convert a lcd monitor to a tv. I'll explain what my "set-up" is now so you'll know where I'm beginning.
    I have a flat screen computer monitor that has and HDMI input and a 3.5 mm input sound jack (like what the end of headphone are).

My old tv is a set up of rca outputs. Now, I know there are some convertors that I can buy, but I'm not 100 % sure which I need. I don't want to get the wrong one going the "wrong direction", if you know what I mean.

So, any help that you can provide would be great cause I'm not sure how to get the set up made for the picture and sound. Thanks so much in advance for your help and feel free to ask any questions you might need.

Sincerely- Douglas

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i'm not sure about the sound is the 3.5mm jack an output????This is what i use on pc for sound(see pic).

The other thing you will need is something to send a signal to the moniter a set top box should do it.If the set top box has hdmi output that should work fine. 3.5mmtrca.

3. dward

dward Member

Hi There, Thanks for the reply, I do have the red, white and yellow (for video I think) rca outputs on a DTV converter box, the back of the flat screen has an HDMI input and the 3.5 mm audio jack, which I think is an output, so I could get a set of PC speaker to send the sound to through that (hoping it would work :) ) I guess my next question would be, does the HDMI cable/signal going into the monitor carry both video and sound ???

I have seen a small converter box that has all 3 RCA inputs (red, white and yellow) and has a HDMI output on the other end, It also has a switch for NTSC or PAL versions. Not sure if you have seen these or used something similar, but I'm wondering if thats wat I would need. Thanks so much again for your help and look forward to talking to you soon.

Sincerely- Douglas

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the dtv converter box should work (we call them set top boxes in australia), connect it to the converter box then to the moniter with hdmi and try and see if it works.
    hdmi cables do carry sound & video.
    with the 3.5mm socket to rca thats what i use for my sterio for pc sound but i can unplug it and use logitech speakers in the 3.5mm socket and sound works fine (my pc speakers have a faulty power buttons thats why i use my sterio).

connect it all up and see, worse thing that can happen is you will get a message on your moniter saying no signal.

i havn't seen the pal and ntsc switches since the old japanese super nintendo, this site might be helpful. http://shop.sandbag.uk.com/OneGiantLeap/PALNTSCInfo.html

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if there is a 3.5mm socket then it is used for input as the monitor has built in speakers. the audio signal comes from the audio output of the computer to the input of the monitor, that is how my 24" monitors are setuped.