1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting a movie from AVI to a DVD format??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xxnonamex, May 28, 2003.

1. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I have dl movies in avi format how can I convert it to a dvd file to burn it onto a dvd or cd? Thanks

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

what kind of .avi (ie: which codec is involved) ?

there's a software app. called Gspot that will give you proper info on the file itself..

some .avi's will be converted to .mpeg (VCD/SVCD to fit a CD-R) using Nero for example using simple encoding

converting mpeg to .VOB .BUP .IFO (DVD compliant files) is much easier !

hope i've helped some

peace

3. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I used G-Spot and the codecs are installed how can i put it on a dvd or cd? Can I convert the file to make it able to burn to a CD or dvd?

4. herbsman

If you'd have told me --> which <-- codec was installed an answer might have been more forthcoming but as it is..just try encoding unless it's a XviD codec .avi that your trying.

5. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

MS MPEG4 VE (MP43)AUDIO MPEG LAYER 3 THEY ARE INSTALLED i HAVE THE CORRECT CODECS INSTALLED. I ALSO HAVE AN AVI WITH A DIVX CODEC INSTALLED.sorry about the caps.

6. herbsman

what burning software do you have ?

nero 5.5 w/ mpg2 plug-in by any chance ??

7. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I aM using stomp record now max and alcohol 120%

8. herbsman

Ok , then maybe try TMPGEnc application which is linked in Afterdawns Software section.
    You may have to decide if you want to split in two to create good quality VCD (CD-R) or perhaps to create a multi vob DVD-R. For DVD-R you can create .VOB .BUP .IFO (DVD Compliant files) straight from .avi using DVD Architect. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I give you all these seed bearing plants & herbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  9. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I dl the Tm file that you said. I now need the plugin but I don't have quiktime does that mean that I should dl quicktime?

10. herbsman

I normally author DVD movies rather than converting downloaded movies (although I have done quite a few VCD's).

I would suggest asking questions now in VCD/SVCD Forum..they are well used to TMPGEnc and all of it's settings.
    I dont know what QT plug-in your reffering to , the only reason I can see for that is that you want to convert/encode a QuickTime file.

11. smg

smg Regular member

Herbs?
    Is a movie burned onto a CD-R or SVCD really that noticeable in difference in quality from say a vhs movie?

12. herbsman

Not really , I'd say SVCD is roughly the same in fact as VHS !!: )-~

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

In saying that herbs, it all depends on the originals quality ;-)

14. herbsman

Indeed !!

It will always depend on the originals , you cant hope to improve on source file..

I wouldn't burn SVCD to CD-R unless the whole file was to fit on one disc.
    I'd put all the mpg2 files I could find and stick them on DVD-R using DVD Architect

15. smg

smg Regular member

I was thinking since cd-rs are so much cheaper than dvd blanks, of transfering my dvds movies onto cd-rs instead of dvds. I guess now the question is, is it more difficult to put them onto cd-rs than dvds? Because frankly, after reading all about the dvd proceedures, I am hopeing it would be easier for a novice like myself. Also, if I remember correctly (I have read so much I am forgetting where I may have read this) but are cd-rs supposed to NOT play
    as satisfactorily in a home dvd player as a burned dvd? It seemed like there was a problem with movies burned on cd-rs not playing in store bought dvd players as well as burned dvds. Is that true?
    And as usual, thanks for all the help. You have been a Godsend for me thru all this.

16. herbsman

Nearly all shop bought DVD Players will play VCD but usually not SVCD (sometimes you have to initiate a VCD hack via the remote)
    Not true about DVD Players not playing VCD , if this is what you mean by CD-R <---
    CD-R just means the disc itself , not whats on it.

17. smg

smg Regular member

I guess I got confused. I meant vcd or svcd. I assumed that they were cd-r/ws or cd+r/ws with
    the files for vcd written on them. Is a vdc another type of disc like a dvd?
    by the way herbs, what is your personal opinion
    about the movie quality of a vcd? Is it comparable to a store bought vhs movie tape? I could live with that :) Is it more difficult to
    make a vcd as opposed to a dvd? And if a vcd is a different kind of disc, is it cheaper than a dvd? Sorry about all these questions, but you are one of only a handful of people in these forums who have the experience and thus can be trusted to give accurate information (drboss and moderator being 2 others also who I can trust what they say). If you were a beginner, would you recommend me trying to rip/burn vcds instead of dvds for ease of understanding? Of course if the picture is below the quality of a vhs store bought movie, then the vcd idea would not even be considered by me as an option. The movie has to be at least as clear as a vhs movie.
    Thanks again herbs.

18. herbsman

My personal opinion is that SVCD comes to the standard your talking of (VHS) but if your trying to fit say a hollywood movie to CD-R/SVCD then it'll probably need splitting over 2 discs. That is never an option for me...

CD-R = 16p per disc
    DVD-R = 88p per disc

so it is cheaper , but I'd always go for quality : )

VCD/SVCD are CD-R but you can put say 3 mpegs of movie filesize onto DVD-R using various software

If there's any other info I can give , just let me know

19. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I have a SVCD and would like to convert it on a DVD what is the easiest way in doing so?

20. herbsman

I'd load the(m) file(s) in Sonic Foundry's DVD Architect myself.
    Selcting chapter points maually or automatically.
    Choosing a menu from a selection and adding your own personal text.

Anyway , what I'd do and what other people might do...could be two completely different things ! ; )

Hope I've given an alternative choice to other methods you may hear or take on

peace