1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. bbaskett

bbaskett Member

Marc,
    Having had the same problem as you with the .aa files, I found a FREE work around. it requires a little more work, but can be done with any number of FREE file converters. Audible.com will allow you to burn the audio books to CD. Then it's simply a matter of ripping the CD's back to your hard drive in .MP3 format. Almost any of the free share ware file converters will convert CD format music to .mp3. Yeah it's an extra step, but other than the cost of some blank CD's it won't cost you a dime.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got a folder, Rosetta.Stone.V3.Italian, in it their are 4 sub folders [data,documentation,languages,speech]. In the data folder, there are 256 rsd files. I have no clue as to what these are or how to open them. Can someone hear help ? Is this a Documentation or Audio folder

3. knipknup

knipknup Member

This one can end up taking several cd's. A 27 our audio book would take about 20-25 cd's. Burning those and then ripping them would suck. That's my opinion. If you have the time and cd's, go for it. I don't have time for that. The $20 or whatever it was for soundtaxi three years ago was way worth it!

4. phenner

phenner Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. ddintv

ddintv Member

The problem I've run into with Sound Taxi is that it chops off the last 15-20 minutes of any Audible file it converts. So far, I haven't found a workaround for this, and it's quite frustrating.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Not that this is much help, but tunebyte also does 50x and works fine.

7. jbsjbs

jbsjbs Member

The method posted awhile back with the AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe has been working great for me, and over the past couple months I've converted 2 years worth of my Audible purchases over to MP3 with Goldwave. But I've noticed that every once in awhile it will simply stop working. I'll open GoldWave, go to open an AA file, and the SectionNavigation window will come up, but the Goldwave progress bar never materializes. Restarting the computer doesn't help, and I generally end up having to deactivate, uninstall, reinstall, reapply MediaFilter, and try again.

Anyone have this same experience and is there some other config file or ini file somewhere that I can delete to get it working again without all the uninstall/reinstall business?

Thanks!

--Jason

8. killn

killn Member

Well I have been messing around with Windows 7 rc1. Just like vista you cannot use the Mediaplayerfilter and goldwave to convert audio from .aa to mp3. Here is what i did. Installed XP mode. Setup audible player filter. Installed gold wave and registered. Converted it using the virtual programs intigrated feature on Windows 7. It sounds choppy after it is converted. No worried audio is fine just chuggs along in the vm app. So it is all good. Works well and easy to setup and run.

killn

9. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I wonder if Tunebite will convert the audible file faster than realtime? Meaning convert several files at once as it can with books downloaded from the Overdrive Library? Or does it only do the whole book at 1x speed?

10. phenner

phenner Member

11. Mez

Mez Active member

phenner what kind of reply was THAT!

Were you tring to imply you were too smart for all of this or just tired?

In either case the reply was morionic. If you knew it all why read this. If you were beyond this you should have left something intelligent. If you were tired, why bother.

How was that a NOT a moronic reply?

12. knipknup

knipknup Member

I have used soundtaxi primarily to convert music files. I did convert a audible file but it has been a long time and I don't think I ever listened to it because it was just a test to see if it would work. Stay tuned and I'll do one and post results.

13. MacNewbol

MacNewbol Member

With the help of a comment on page 17 in this thread, I found that if I closed GoldWave, I no longer get Error Copying Files. The comment mentioned that he had to close windows media player etc. as well, in case that helps someone. I was very glad to finally get this fixed/solved and have a solution to the problem.

14. tlamontd

tlamontd Member

I have an account @ audible.com, but I own an ARCHOS media player. For this I am punished to not be able to take my books on the road. I've read thru this forum and found every1 using the same 2 programs (riverpast & goldwave). Tried both ways, neither will work for me. Riverpast because I can't find the old version every1 says will work & goldwave doesn't recognize my files.
    I did have a way that worked but I believe that because I was forced to reinstall audible software that I can no longer get this way to work. So if anyone can tell me where to look for an old version (pre-date May '09) of audible software, I would be very appreciative.

By the way what works for me:

WMAconvert software - when I bought it was $20 now it's about $25 i think. It takes about 2 hrs to convert a 7 hr file. What happens now is that it gets to 100% & won't complete, close the program and you lose the temp file & mp3 file.

After I use mp3splt-gtk version 0.5.4 to split files. Takes me only 1-2 minutes to cut a 7 hr file to 10 min files. You can use any split you want, i.e. you can split into 6 min files or even 29min16sec files.

Lastly I use CKRename to rename the 100s of mp3 files i've converted and split.

15. Mez

Mez Active member

tlamontd, you do not explain how you complete the conversion. Do you keep the app open till you split the temp files?

I still think my suggestion is better since the audio capture apps break between chapters because they sense the pause and break it there.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tlamontd : What you might try is when it gets to the end,if possible pause or stop it.
    Then just copy it to a different directory, restart your program and let it do its thing,
    if it deletes all your work you will still have a copy in your new directory. Hope this works for you
    Just an Experiment. But I,ve found this to work for me on Videos, that get to 97,98,99% etc.complete. Now sometimes they have small glitches,like a 1/2 second or so.Not always though But nothing to hinder whats actually going on
    Try this on a short 30 min file just to see preferably an MP3, mp3s done this way for me have always come out 100% OK FOR THE WHOLE SONG, with no Glitcges...IT WON'T HURT TO TRY

17. tlamontd

tlamontd Member

I appreciate the help. I stirred up trouble b4 trying everything in my power 2 try 2 fix. I "assumed" it was audible since it hasn't worked since I uninstalled and installed it recently, but it turned out to be updating the converter that worked. The biggest reason I didn't try upgrading, was I was a little leary of having 2 uninstall & shut down my computer before I could update the program, but I gave in & it works beautifully. Thanks again for the help.

18. kikoeru

kikoeru Member

Okay... I'm at my wit's end. I've tried every method mentioned in this thread except the one that involves Nero. I've tried different versions of Goldwave, Sound Taxi, River Past, Tunebites, Tune Cab, iTurn, DVDnextCOPY, DRM-convertor, dBpoweramp, Total Audio Converter, DRMBuster, and tons more, along with dozens of codecs.

Can anyone suggest anything new? I suppose it's worth mentioning that the .aa files I have are burn protected. I do own them, but I have an older mp3 player, and use a USB-port deck in my car to listen to mp3s.

Please help!

19. Mez

Mez Active member

kikoeru, you are doing many things VERY wrong. For 1 your files are copy protected. Goldwave, dBpoweramp, Total Audio Converter will not work. I do not believe they are DRMed so Tunebites, DRM-convertor and any other DRM remover MAY not work. I do not use Sound Taxi but I believe it is an audio capture app. Audio capture is the only sure fire way to make the copy. You play the book and capture it. If that takes to long don't copy it.

Lets focus on sould Taxi. Why doesn't that work?

20. kikoeru

kikoeru Member

I don't mind capturing, but I'm not at all familiar with it. When I try Sound Taxi, I don't see any options for capture -- Only conversion, and when I try that, it says, "SoundTaxi Platinum encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

There's nothing in the help section about this.

I've installed AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe and msvci70.dll, as well as lame_enc.dll. The files used to play in Windows Media Player, but now I get the "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file" message.