1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Audible (.aa) Files: No Searching Involved

Discussion in 'Audio' started by linkvoid, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ChrisSaw

ChrisSaw Member

Probably 64kbps, based only on the filesize being twice what the 32kbps Type 4 AA files are. (One of the books in my library is listed at 131 MB in Type 4, and 262 MB in Enhanced.)

I too am avoiding installing the new manager for the time being, since I really don't want to lose the convenience of running new acquisitions through Goldwave to get files playable everywhere. But the Type 4 files are so poor ("CD Quality" my rear!) that anything would be an improvement, so suggestions for converting these AAX files to WAV/MP3 would be greatly appreciated.

2. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Has anyone tried MelodyCan this software claims it can convert AA files.

3. jangell2

jangell2 Member

I'm trying to download some audible books today. I've got Audible Manager 3.5 from linkvoid's kit and I'm getting the message: "Error setting Registry Key, Please call Customer Service. Error 118."

So have they now changed it so I have to install the current Audible Manager? If I do, after downloading, then installing the audible media player filter from the kit, will Goldwave convert the .aa to .mp3?

Except for the current Audible Manager, everything is coming out of linkvoid's kit.

I'm wondering, do I need to uninstall the audible media filter from the kit before installing Audible Manager? It's been a while since I've done this and I forget.

4. ChrisSaw

ChrisSaw Member

Any updated information on converting the "new" AAX files to WAV or MP3?

5. jjjerm

jjjerm Member

Hi, has anyone had any success converting the new audible files?

I purchased (legitimately) a copy of DRMBuster, and it will convert them a good percentage of the time (not consistently though) but the sound quality is not good at all, I hear little ticks and spots in it that aren't right.

I would be very interested if anyone knows of a simpler way to convert not only the new audible format but the old one...I'd ideally like to have a "1 computer solution" to convert these, but I'll do what I have to do. Any advice from the professionals?

6. skinnyzhi

skinnyzhi Member

I'm having trouble stripping the DRM from the AA files.

I downloaded your Audibler.exe.

I go to my library, right-click on the orange download it button, and click Copy Shortcut. I get this:

javascript:downloadThis("enaudiomsgBK_NAXO_000434a","hiddenTitleBK_NAXO_000434a","http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_dhelper.pl?user_id=inatetucker&product_id=BK_NAXO_000434a&domain=www.audible.com&order_number=AUD02345254352&title=","&size=234567&DownloadType=Now&transfer_player=1&codec=","","","MSIE","optBK_NAXO_000434a", "downloadStatusBK_NAXO_000434a","statusBK_NAXO_000434a", "downloadItBK_NAXO_000434a","AAX");

I put this URL in your Audibler.exe, and then i click Translate and Start. I get a page with this error:

File Assembly Error: product ID was not provided

http://cdl.audible.com/cgi-bin/aw_assemble_title_dynamic.aa?user_id=&product_id=&codec=mp332

My username is: inatetucker

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

I realize you're not tech-support. If you don't have time for this, I understand. Thanks for fighting against DRM.

if you want to send a direct reply, my addr. is edited by ddp without all those spaces...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  7. Mez

Mez Active member

I feel like a broken record...

They keep changing the aa protection scheams and each venror has there own which they tend to update routinely. If you have a copy buster it may not work for everything. You will have to wait for a new version (if any comes out) for your app or buy a new copy buster or use audio capture. Audio capture always works even though that is the least desireable. It is slow since you have to play the file and it must be done in real time.

For the last few years, every month some one freeks out that their copy buster doesn't work for every thing. This is normal and will continue to happen every month. Get over it! It is smart to trade information but to act surprised that your process doesn't work any more gets old.

8. sadievan

sadievan Member

Does anyone have a copy of Audible Manager 5.5.0.3 available or know where I can get one. Cannot find any on the web.

Carol

9. Avmagnet

Avmagnet Member

Just recorded the stream & converted it into MP3 192kps.
    Used a new device on the market COCKTAIL AUDIO X10 by Novatron.

-Converts your entire LP, cassettes & any audio source into a digital format & also convert into WAV, Mp3, Ogg & Flac.
    Colour Screen 3.5 inches
    Store entire audio/music collection
    Direct CD playing device or rip to HDD, upto 2TB
    Plug in external HDD
    Format HDD via Cocktail Audio X10
    Playlist & bookmark support
    Network Stream, supports WIFI
    Supports FreeDB & Edit tag
    Keyboard support
    Supports Internet radio
    Lauguage Support
    Many features great Kit.

All about the device on Google: cocktailaudio.com
    or
    cocktailaudio.co.uk

10. ChuckEgg

ChuckEgg Newbie

I'm the original developer of the FREE method to convert AA Audible Files to MP3 files that is described in the first post of this thread. I wrote about this method in a blog post in February 2006.

I am happy to report that ten years later as of 5/20/2016 my method to remove DRM from AA Audible Files and convert to MP3 still works.

The person who "borrowed" my method and posted it at the start of this thread (without credit to me) had created a "kit" but the kit link is now dead. I've updated my 10 year old post and you can find it by googling this:

ChuckEgg Audible to MP3

11. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks Chuck for updating. That other person 'who stole your method' might not have read your blog. They may also have figured it out on their own.

My suggestion is for anyone using audible files you need to save and back up your Audible Manager, DRMs as well as your AA files. I also suggest converting them to mp3s ASAP. They never 'go bad'. I still use audio capture to convert my files. I start long files before bed and use a timed capture which cuts off about 30 minutes after the recording should be over. I usually check it when I get up in the morning and end the process manually so I don't need to get rid of the silence at the end of the recording. It isn't ingenious but is reliable. The same software works after 10 years.

12. ChuckEgg

ChuckEgg Newbie

Mez,

The thread's originator wrote, "I created this thread to save the time of searching the internet." He did not say he discovered the method.

If he was "searching the Internet" in 2007, my blog post written a year earlier would have been the top organic result on page one on Google, Yahoo and every other major search engine (where it continued to rank high on the page until about 2009).

Yes, I suppose it's entirely possible that he figured out my method precisely step by step down to the single "msvci70.dll" file out of the dozens of dll files available that do not work correctly, but it's highly unlikely.

For the record, I wrote "borrowed" not "stole" ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  13. Mez

Mez Active member

Good comeback! You sold me! I think you are correct. Maybe I will need to look into your method. I am real used to using audacity but your way may be better.