1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting avi file to multiple images

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by radikle, Apr 25, 2011.

1. radikle

radikle Member

Hi everyone;

what kind of program could I use to do this? I wish to convert an avi clip to single frames then find the best one I wish to use. I realize a lot of video players allow you to grab one frame as an image, but I would like to have every frame as images to mix around, etc maybe.

If anyone knows of something that can do this, please inform me how or maybe link me to a tutorial.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Create an empty folder.
    Load the file into VirtualDub.
    Click 'File' > 'Export' > 'Image sequence' and select the new folder as destination.
    Note that if required, you can use the slider bar to select a particular clip for export.

3. radikle

radikle Member

Thank you for the advice, attar..just goes to show why I joined here :)

4. radikle

radikle Member

oops, just realized I forgot to ask also.. can you put them back together as an avi again? :)

5. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, if the images are numbered in sequence (no missing numbers) you would drag the first image into VirtualDub and the rest would follow automatically..but it would be a brand new video without audio - unless you cared to add a new audio stream, or even the original....and of course you would have to use a codec (compressor) to create the avi and for that you would have had to install the likes of the XviD codec on your system so that VirtualDub could see it.

6. radikle

radikle Member

Oh ok then..thanks again :)