1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting avi files to mpeg

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scott039, Nov 9, 2004.

1. scott039

scott039 Guest

My friend sent me the torrent files for rain man dvd. he then said that i needed winRAR to extract the files so i did. Then he said that i needed to convert the avi files into mpeg so i downloaded winMPG video convert and when i try to convert the files it says Mpeg1/Mpeg2 should have audio and video stream what do i do and how do i convert the files? please help

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

scott039, i think you need to go and have a read of the forum rules before you post.You seem to have violated this one by posting here and also in the cdr forum.Please refrain from doing so in the future

3.[bold] Post your question only once! Don't cross-post your questions to multiple forums! [/bold]

as to your question concerning converting avi to mpeg.First of have you got a program called avicodec(type it in google, its a free download).Run your avi file through it then re post the results here for us to have a look at.

andmerr

3. scott039

scott039 Guest

it says opening error cannot play back the file. The format is not supported, for C:Documents and Settings\ken\Desktop\Rain Man\rm.cd1-em\rm.cd1-em.avi.avi please help i dont have a clue what to do

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/avicodec.cfm

go to the link above ,download the file and run your avi through it ,then repost the stats of the avi file for me to view.

you probably have a codec issue.AVIcodec is a nice little tool for identifying what codecs you need in order to
    play your multimedia files

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
  5. scott039

scott039 Guest

i already have that software. ive tried to run it through again but ut said the same thing. In the box were it saysV.codec name it says XVID Mpeg-4 and in the box were it says A.1 codec name it says AC3 DVM

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

7. scott039

scott039 Guest

can you please just guide me through what i have to do after i extracted the files from the torrent useing winrar? and tell me everythingthat i need to burn the finsihed product onto a dvd

8. scott039

scott039 Guest

i am in the process of encoding the rain man using dvd santa into the video ts folder. where do iget the sudio ts files from?. or what do i need to do next?

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

dont worry about the audio files.Once the project is converted play it and see if you have sound.