1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI to DVD compliant resolution

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by greg0226, Jan 28, 2003.

1. greg0226

greg0226 Member

I have used TMPGEnc to convert my AVI to an m2v file and Virtualdub to strip the audio to PCM (48000). Everytime I go to bring my m2v file into DVDit PE it says that the file is not compliant and will not be able to be played on my stand alone DVD player.

I have looked around this board and I think my problem is that my AVI file has the wrong resolution to start with (604x476). I am guessing that is why DVDit is saying that my DVD will not be compliant. Am I right? My question is what is the best way to convert this resolution to a DVD compliant resolution with out screwing up image quality?

Also is my audio being in PCM another problem with the DVD compliant? I have read some people say that it can't be in PCM and some say it can be.

If someone could please offer me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

download flask mpeg from http://go.to/flaskmpeg, once you have that downloaded, open up your avi file. you will need to change the resolution to either 720x480, or 352x240. one thing you might want to note. when you transcode this move from it's original resolution to a new resolution, since your resolution is an akward one, there is a good chance your video will look distorted. you may have to crop the video. one thing to keep in mind, in order to play a video correctly on your dvd player, resolutions have to be visible by 16 where as 720/16=45 and 480/16=30. also if you end up having to crop your video, make sure when you crop it that you crop the verticle and horizontal lines by fours. once you have changed the resolution, you can either transcode it as a *.avi file or an *.mpg file. i recommend *.avi. depending on the size of your avi depends greatly on whether you are going to have to re-transcode again after your VOB files are created. so when transcoding be sure you set your compression ratio lower so you don't have to do this all over again.i recommend myDVD when your burning avi or mpg files simply because of it's ease of use. any other questions just ask. -tm

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  3. greg0226

greg0226 Member

Thanks for you response!!! I will definitely try that when I get home from work tonight.