1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI to DVD - Really stuck even though I followed guide

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by um4r, May 26, 2007.

1. um4r

um4r Guest

Hi guys - I'm having some problems with buring some AVI's to a DVD

I have a DBD RW in my computer and I went out and bought a pack of 5 DVD-R discs.

Ok I have three different movies - all are .AVI format and all roughly 700MB.

I used the guide on this site on how to convert AVI to DVD.

I got the AVI2DVD software and also a burning program. Now the AVI2DVD program I got must be a slightly newer one as the interface is slightly different but that is not a big deal. I can still get it.

However I am having some problems.

I load the AVI - and well first off it doesn't tell me the info on the file like framrate and duration - again bo big deal but when I go through the steps then go to ADD JOB -

Then I click GO

It says CHOOSE AN AUDIOSTREAM - then it says INVALID FILENAME or something

Now in the AUDIOSTREAM - I can't select anything. Everything is blank.

I'm really confused.

Any help much appreciate!

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

An invalid filename would be something like My_Movie.
    Change it to My Movie is acceptable.
    If you're still having problems, try a simple program called DVD Flick.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Flick

3. um4r

um4r Guest

Thanks man - i'm downloading that now

Yep, I even renamed my file to just name.avi - no luck

4. um4r

um4r Guest

Damn this is so trick =

Ok I used that program to convert/encode it...all cool, it seems to have worked

Now I want to burn it on a DVD

I got a program called DVDFAB HD Decryptor to burn it and right at the beginning of burning it onto the DVD I get an error saying Process failed - tast 1 failed - error=400 then it gives me the location of a file and it is called something.vob

so annoying - what should i use to burn onto a dvd disc please?

thanks again

5. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

If you're ready to burn, use ImgBurn.

6. um4r

um4r Guest

Ok ImgBurn looks really confusing

I have a video with lots of files in it, in the VIDEO_TS folder. The Audio one is empty. What shall I do now?

Thanks

7. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

Hey guys this topic is just my specialty. I worked with converting .avi to .vob and other formats for over 2 years. Updating and fixing. Making it faster. Anyway scrap avi2dvd. I got that problem a lot when i had it. for some reason it does not work. its not worth the effort. if u want a rele good program go wtih winavi. It well worth it. if u dont want to spend money and hardly ever convert go for the free program by vso. I forget what it is called, but its free. If you have any questions please message me. I dont want you to have to go through the same hassels i went through.

8. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

o btw. dont use imgburn. its rele confusing took me ages to figure out. use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter (old version). It may be 2 programs, but its very simple.

9. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Decrypter's burn engine is outdated. That's why Imgburn was created. The guides on the site are very well written.

10. um4r

um4r Guest

Img Burn is confusing. I don't know what to do to it - I have loads of files in the VIDEO_TS folder...do I drag them all in, in the Build mode or something?

11. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

12. um4r

um4r Guest

Ok someone help me on this question -

You get the AVI - then change it into "something" - encode it whatever

This is what I have done so far. It made some folder like AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS - there is some files it made in the VIDEO folder.

Ok now I have that, I thought it would just be a matter of buring that stuff onto a DVD

Am I missing a step? How does this work?

Now I've encoded the AVI....what's next? Why can't you just drag and drop onto a DVD-R?

13. um4r

um4r Guest

Thank you guys - I managed to do it! Isn't greatest quality but it works! lol THANKS!

The people on this forum are one of a kind for sure

14. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

ever heard of the saying if it aint broke dont fix it! well dvd decrpt wasnt broke so dont ix it. i agree it is out of date, but there is no reason to stop using it and i still recommend it.

15. dbtilly

dbtilly Member

A few months back I asked for help on saving a Movie Shop file so it can be played in any DVD player. I was given some sites for DVD encoder software. I downloaded one that once I pay for it and register it it won't have a trailer at the bottom of the movie. I converted the movie I had but there were speed problems and some other things so I sent an email asking for some guidance and help and have never gotten a response. This makes me hesitant to buy the product. I have been to several stores and on line to software companies and can not find any DVD Encoder software by name companies. I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than I want to convert MPEG movies to play in any DVD player.
    Is there any free software or is there any company I can use. I saw on this site DVD-Tool.com and went there and it had software for $29.95 that converts AVI to DVD. Is this what I want. or is there any free software that is easy and safe?

16. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

Like told you, Use winavi. It can convert anything. You will spend forever searching for a free software. just buy winavi. ok. that is the only advice i can give you. peace out.

17. dbtilly

dbtilly Member

Where do I get winavi?

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

With DVD compatable files (VIDEO_TS folder) DVDDecrypter is useless, that's why ImgBurn was suggested.

To the OP get this:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

By far and away the most suggested and respected converter on these forums.

Forget WinAVI.

19. ellegon18

ellegon18 Member

I completely agree with mystice. I just started using this program about a week ago and it works great. I am a complete noob to this stuff and i didn't have any problems converting to dvd. It also has a built in burning program so you don't have to use any other programs but this to convert and burn. Great program and worth the $.