1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting avi to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jackie196, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jackie196

jackie196 Member

I have been up until now changing avi files to dvd files using WINAVI with no problems at all. I then have to burn them using NERO but sticking under the 1.99GB limit as the DVD just doesnt play in a standalone player or you cant access the VOBS in the DVD drive of my pc as it crashes.

My problem is now when I convert AVI files in WINAVI even though the process finishes successfully the last VOB always makes NERO stop responding on the end of the buring stage and the DVD just doesnt work at sall anywhere. I have tried using DVD shrink and true enough it tells me the final VOB file of any movie I try and change in WINAVI has INVALID DATA. WINAVI does not state any error at all. This haas only started in the past few days and I cant seem to see any reason why it would happen. I shrunk a few files VOB movie files last week using the same process and even though I lost movie quality they played fine in my standalone player. I presumed it was a codec error even though there was nothing stated so I reinsatlled them too but to no avail. I even tried a file we changed from AVI to DVD some time ago and it failed to burn in NERO stalling at the end of the burn process and the same error came up on DVDSHRINK that the final VOB file had INVALID DATA.

The VOBS seem ok when you access them in the PC they play fine and so do the original AVI files before changing them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any advice on the 1.99gb limit too. I am running WINME and have read in a few different places that if I upgrade to WINXP I should have no problem buring larger files.

2. sVer

sVer Member

i get "popping" when i watch te dvd after converting it with WINAVI how to i stop this?

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

sVer, this is sometimes known as hijacking somebody else's thread. Not nice.

jackie,

I don't use WINAVI, so I cannot help out much there. I use NeroVision Express to convert avi files into dvd format. Normally, the VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder are no larger than 1 GB. A wild guess here is that Nero is having trouble with how large the files are you are creating with WINAVI.

As for the 2gb file size limit, yes XP can use the NTFS file system which will allow larger files. But you don't need files that large, and if you are running ME, that suggests to me that you have older hardware that might not have the resources to run XP efficiently.

If you've got the Nero Suite, why don't you check out NVE for what you are trying to do. It will combine your avi's into VOB files, keeping each one no larger than 1 GB.