1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .avi to mpeg-1

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by thakronik, Jan 19, 2005.

1. thakronik

thakronik Member

i used tmpgenc to convert a xvid avi file to a mpeg-1 file that i was going to split and put on 2 cd-r's and i ended up getting a file without any audio and over an hour of blank video at the end of the movie. Does anyone know any way to get this to work properly? I also tried using tmpgenc to crop the file and only convert part of it so i didnt have to split it. It didnt even convert at all. How do I make this work?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1) some AVIs have AC3 sound that TMPGenc cannot decode (the Audio soutìrce is also left blank, in this case). Do es suggested in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217.
    2) After a succesful conversion, do TMPGenc File___MPEG Tools___Merge & Cut cutting the files for the 1st CD (0--->F) and the 2nd (F--->end). As type choose 'MPEG1 VideoCD'.

3. thakronik

thakronik Member

Thank you I will try that once I wake up tomorrow. I viewed that thread before and wasnt sure if it applied to me due to the fact that it mentioned out of sync problems that I obviously didnt have considering I had no sound whatsoever. But I will definetly use those programs and attempt again. If I still have problems I will post another thread.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Thank you. You suggested me how to add something useful to my 'sticky' post...