1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI to MPEG is extremely slow

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by kashuk86, Sep 12, 2003.

1. kashuk86

kashuk86 Guest

Converting AVI to MPEG,(VCD), is extremely slow, it takes 10 hours to convert 2 hours of AVI movie, ripped from dvd.
    my computer is pentiun3 533mhz win98.

is there any faster way converting?
    or fast my computer should be to convert in 4or5 hours?

2. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

That sounds just a little too long. I have a pentium 3 550mhz and it takes 5 1/2 hours to convert 1.5 hours of video. Try closing any open programs or taskbar utilities such as GetRight or MSN Messenger before running the conversion. -Alex

3. RNF1968

RNF1968 Regular member

Not to sound like an ass or anything but if you guys are going to do a lot of movie converting I would upgrade my computer. I upgraded to a P4/2.4ghz and my movies convert in less than 2 hours. Worth getting a new computer if you ask me. More memory could help and like alxdotnet said dont leave any unecessary programs running in background.

4. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

I actually did upgrade several months ago-I was just using my old Dell as an example. I now use a P4 2.4Ghz with 512MB RAM and 30GB HD running XP Pro. A full length video converts in just under 2 hours.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you are Useing Tmpgenc then that is Part of the Problem because tmpgenc is one of the Slower encoders out there...I use CCE for Mpeg2 encodeing an I can encode Low resolution Files like VCD Resolution file as 5 times Real time so a 2 hour Movie takes about 25 minutes...

6. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

OK, forgive a newbie:)

I am using Roxio DVD Builder on my P4/3GHz (OCed to 3.6GHz), 1Gb RAM, ATI 9800 Pro, and I am getting around 10/11 frames a second when going from MPEG to ISO image. It takes forever.

Is that OK, slow, or fast?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  7. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

I don't actually own a DVD burner but those numbers sound way too slow. Are you sure you are using a DVD-compliant MPEG-2 file (i.e. not MPEG-1)? It sounds like Roxio is having to re-encode the video file. Some programs are picky about the bitrate and/or frame rate, so try using TMPGEnc's MPEG-2 template if you aren't already.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Interesting.... hmmm,... very interesting hehe. Even with a P3-800 i can get 16 fps and it takes anywhere from 5-10 hours (depending on whether im doing anything else on the side). With some of my other rigs i can do under two hours each time everytimes.

kashuk86: with your configuration... 10 hours doesnt seem that unreasonable at all.

9. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

I guess it's all down to softwre. I tried with Main Concept EVE 1.2, and this time it took just under 2 hrs. to encode 2:25:00 of film.

So, it's not the computer, but rather the software that is influential, at least om my rig.

10. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

KillerBob,
    Yes and no. Its true, like in this case, that a bad software algorithm can kill conversion rates. Its best to stick with tried-and-true software like TMPGEnc or VirtualDub. However, since video conversion is intensely mathematical, a processor increase will translate directly into a noticibly faster conversion. Memory is like a set limit--if you have a certain amount you'll be fine. Fall below that and the swapping from memory/virtual memory will cost you time. Having excessive memory doesn't help, because your processor can't keep up. One aspect of memory which always helps is the bus speed or transfer rate.

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

[bold]Possible reasons for slow conversion with TMPGEnc[/bold]

1. Your computer is (forgive the term) slow!!
    2. You have too many running processes during encoding.
    3. You are encoding to a high resolution
    4. You are encoding from an AVI file and TMPGEnc reads it wrong, then makes the file seem bigger than it really is (very popular problem!!)

Personally, I will stick to CCE SP, nothing beats it for speed and quality! Price tag might be a bit of a problem however! :S

EDIT: TMPGEnc users might want to check out - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101_X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.BillLonero.com - Check out a true artists music!

aD channel on IRC: rod.liquidirc.com #ad_buddies
    Newbie IRC Guide- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003