1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DivX, avi, MPEG to DVD Format

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by marvinr, Aug 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvinr

marvinr Guest

I'm a newbie...is there any way to convert a DivX, avi, MPEG file, etc. that I downloaded from the Internet into a regular DVD format so I can watch the movie on my DVD player and TV??

marvinr@adelphia.net

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We got plenty of guides that instruct how to convert your videos to DVD format, here are some of those:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_multiple_formats_to_dvd_dvdsanta.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_to_dvdr_with_dvd2svcd_d2sroba.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_2_guide.cfm

Additionally, we have couple of more "one-click" tools to convert your videos to DVD format on our software archive, so feel free to browse through http://www.afterdawn.com/software/

Also, one way to do this is to create miniDVDs out of those files, but you don't gain much in this process -- instead you actually lose even more of the quality what you have in DivX / MPEG files.

Instead, you can encode your movies into VCDs or SVCDs -- those formats work in most of the stand-alone DVD players very nicely. In most of the cases when you download a MPEG movie (named as .mpg or .mpeg) it is already in VCD compliant format. In case of DivX ;-) movies, you need to encode them to VCD format -- this is a bad method as you lose even more picture quality (encoding anything twice is always a bad idea). But if you really insist encoding all your existing video clips again into VCD format, use TMPGEnc -- it's free MPEG-1 encoder that has VideoCD templates ready for your use (just open a file, choose the format you want it to be encoded to and _wait_).

You can write your VideoCDs to CD-ROM with almost all regular CD-R tools -- including Easy CD Creator and Nero. Just remember to select VideoCD as your format before proceeding, then just add your .mpg files and if they're valid, software adds them to the CD and burns you a valid VCD that works with your existing DVD player.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  4. booter_44

booter_44 Guest

you not forgetting something?? you wil need a dvd writer to burn movies to dvd so i would not recommend it and any way here in the uk dvd r discs are priced at around £9 which i would say $7 us is it possible to buy cheaper dvd r discs folks cause there are so many pirate copies about

thanks in advance

booter_44

5. dRD

We're talking about miniDVD's and VCD's here -- while both work in the regular stand-alone DVD player, both are also burned on regular $0.20 CD-R.

6. Pammy79

Pammy79 Guest

i have a quick ? for you dr.d. i've tried to follow up on what u said.mpg files can be burn
    directly to a cd burner. i've used easy cd creator as my burning software, and it did burn.
    but then when it came the time i played the
    cd-r on my dvd player which is also a vcd compatible type i don't hear or see anything.
    even when i tried opening it up on my comp. all i am seeing is a bunch of different types of folder. i opened each and every file and nothing comes up but the type of folder they are in.

please help a newbie here....
    pam

7. eddiebe

eddiebe Guest

8. b-baluver

b-baluver Guest

How do you Convert DivX, avi, MPEG to DVD Format, to be used in a DVD player without needing a DVD burner ?

9. dRD

b-baluver: You need to use VCD or SVCD instead. Guides are available in various places, but basically only thing you need is CD-R writer, TMPGEnc and Nero (or similiar CD writing software).

10. slimvargy

slimvargy Member

I have Easy CD Creator on my computer (it came installed) but not a DVD ROM. If I download TMPGEnc can I convert AVI with DIVX codec to VCD and play them in a stand alone DVD player or will I need something more? Do you have to have a certain version of Easy CD creator?

11. dRD

You need to have writable CD drive and a version of Easy CD that supports VideoCD format -- Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum (commercial) is at least one that supports VideoCDs.

12. b$j

b$j Guest

dRD, what programs, if any besides nero, will burn svcd's? when I install nero on my computer, my computer will no longer recognize any of my cd drives.

13. dRD

Virtually all CD writers can burn SVCDs, only Nero can also author them -- you can create ISO SVCD images out of your MPEG-2 files with VCDImager and those CD images can be burned with almost all CD writing tools, including CDRWin and (not sure about this) EZCD. You can download VCDImager from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/vcdimager.cfm

...alternatively, if you can get I-Author from somewhere (not sold anymore outside China) you can author your discs with that one -- it's also the only known option currently to author SVCDs so that they contain also subtitles. I-Author creates Easy CD Creator (=EZCD) CD images.

14. slimvargy

slimvargy Member

So to convert AVI to VCD all I need is Easy CD Creator 5 (or another software that supports video CD format), TMPGEnc, a CD writable drive, and any old CD-R? Also, I'm just familiar with Easy CD Creator taht is why I keep referring to it, but what software would you reccomend?

15. dRD

Yeah, you just encode the AVI to MPEG-1 (in case of VideoCD, not SVCD) with TMPGEnc and burn it to CD using EZCD or other CD writing tool.

I personally like Nero the best, but there are people who love EZCD, CDRWin, etc -- pretty much your call :)

16. slimvargy

slimvargy Member

Will I lose a tremendous amount of quality if I convert avi format movies aoready on CD to the VCD format?

17. dRD

You lose quality, definately. But it's up to your original material how much quality you'll lose. Consider also converting your clips to SVCD which is very good quality format, but takes more space (average movie fits to 3 CDs).

18. slimvargy

slimvargy Member

Would I need anything different to convert onto SVCD? Maybe the file size wouldn't matter for me. The movies are only 30 minutes, so hopefully I could just fit 1 per SVCD?

19. dRD

Yeah, one SVCD disc can hold very good quality video of 30-40mins.

You need TMPGEnc (use the SuperVCD template), VCDImager and CD burning software for this process.

20. b$j

b$j Guest

Please forgive my ignorance . . . what is an ISO image and what kind of cd do I want to create. Will it still be a VCD in the cd burning program, even though it is an SVCD ISO. Please explain. Thanks.

21. slimvargy

slimvargy Member

Another question....can I do all of this with Windows millenium edition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.