1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DVD to .mov

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by kalub88, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kalub88

kalub88 Member

hello everyone, im trying to convert DVD content to .mov files so i can watch them on my PDA (Sony Clie TH55)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good program to do this with on a mac. Thanks

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

This is the very first such question I ever heard. Any questions regarded .MOV -> .MPG conversions, not .MPG -> .MOV conversions.
    Sorry, too difficult.
    Whay about finding a Mac .MPG viewer? It should be more quick (do it one time and it will work forever without having to convert any movie to .MOV) and featuring no loss of quality in video during conversion.

3. kalub88

kalub88 Member

but i did that wouldt the movie still take up like 6GB's of space? I dont have that kind of space on a PDA...

4. ggamer

ggamer Guest

This would be interesting to find out, though in my opinion the only good video + audio files are avi [although it is dated it still works nice] and ogm [ the most elite and best type in my opinion absolutely astonishing sound and video quality]. If you ever need to find out how to convert to those files it would take 5 seconds [ just search google and read a respectable guide].

I am out

ggamer

(Who just put in something off topic, but it is my two cents.)

5. kalub88

kalub88 Member

you mean it would be easier to convert a DVD (VIDEO_TS file) to AVI or OGM? or did you mean AVI and OGM to .mov? I think that my PDA will play AVI also

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can convert the .MPG with the resolution you like. The .MPG of a VCD (352 x 240 NTSC , 352x288 PAL) of 70' is a MPEG-1 and occupies fully a 74' CD-R, the .MPG of a SVCD (480 x 480 NTSC , 480x576 PAL) of 35' is a MPEG-2 and occupies fully a 74' CD-R. You can convert MPEG-2 to MPEG-1 with Womble MPEG Editor.
    Sorry, I don't know any .MOV --> .MPG converter neither your MOV's resolution so I don't know the options (for instance, .MOV --> MPEG-1, .MOV --> MPEG-2, and so on).
    The .AVI (Audio Video Interleave) is an encoded movie with any resolution depending on the codec (CO=coder DOC=decoder) used on it (therefore it isn't standard and must be encoded to a .MPG (for a VCD or a SVCD) with, for example, TMPGenc, to create later a (S)VCD compatible with DVD players (the SVCDs are compatible with less then 100% of the DVD players, but the VCDs are 100% compatible with them, anyway).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004