1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DVDs to HDD - Approx 2g size

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Snorks, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Hi. Firstly, I got some exc advise from some of the older threads about ripping, so thanks. I couldnt really find answers on the project I am just starting. I now have a good telly and good pc and want my dvds on hdd rather then dvd media because I know they will skip before too long (some already do). Ok, so I already know how to convert to 4.3gig (using decrypter and shrink) but I want to know which file format or compression and tool would be best to convert to smaller size. I would love to compress a movie to 2gig total - or smaller and still look good on my 42'HD plasma. I have read some threads which talk about too much compression making watching on a plasma this size hopeless, so i want to beware of that. Note - I will be using Media Centre to play from hdd. Any help will be awesome.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

the easyst way to do this and with the least trouble is to get a dvd upconvert player

3. Snorks

Snorks Guest

Ok, I will research that.
    I am happy to play from my hard drive via a dvi-hdmi cable, I really would just like to be able to keep the movies on my hard drive as samller files then 4.3gig.

4. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Are you planning on keeping menus, extrasm etc.? If you just want the movie, then convert the DVD to divx files. Then use VLC media player to adjust picture settings to your liking and set as your default. Also, you can get an upocnvert DVD player like rdmercer1 suggested, but get one capable of divx playback and you can burn roughly 5-7 full divx movies onto a DVD5. That way your PC is not always on. I've got a Samsung upconvert DVD w/ divx playback and I backup my movies to 700mb divx files and they playback great through the DVD player and PC on my 32" LCD Samsung.