1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting from Region 2 to Region 1

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by arbrogast, Jun 7, 2007.

1. arbrogast

arbrogast Guest

I have a European DVD - Region 2 and tried to back it up as a region 1. As I went through the steps it gave me the option to make the copy as all region or a specific region, I chose region 1 and on a second try I chose all region. Both copies will play on a region 1 computer, but neither will play on a DVD player. On a Sony player I do get the sound, but no picture. On a Panasonic player I get nothing. The message on both players does not indicate a regional problem. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this so I can play the discs on a DVD player as opposed to a computer?

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can remove the region coding, but you will end up with a PAL disk and it sounds like you are in an NTSC country (unless your player can handle both formats).

You can use DVDFabDecrypter to rip the DVD, which removes all protections.

Insert disk, run program, select 'Main Movie' or 'Full Disk'
    http://209.172.35.173/download/DVDFabHDDecrypter3108.exe

I would take the VOB files and use this to convert to NTSC then Shrink the output.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

3. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I converted a movie for someone that was region 2 but would not play in a region 1 dvd player. I used Ripit4me to rip (selected region free), used Dvd Shrink to convert into ISO mode and then used Imgburn to burn. I have 2 Sony dvd changers and 1 Panasonic changer and had no problems playing the backed up region free disc in either of the 3 players.

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

You can also Convert the PAL VOBS with VobBlanker(after you rip with DVDFab) very easy to do, then use the output folder by Vobblanker with shrink and proceed as normal.

heres how, right-click on All the TitleSets and select Video Attributes, then follow the numbers, After you do that with each titleSet then you have to make an OutPut folder and thats where the new files will go, then select that folder you made in the OutPut folder Box at the top of VobBlanker then hit process
    [​IMG]
    VOBblanker link is in my sig

Also what brand of DVD's are you using?

5. arbrogast

arbrogast Guest

I'm using TDK for DVD-R and Memorex for DVD+R and DVD+R DL

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

do you have any problems playing the burned discs from a backup of region 1?
    if not i guess you can rule out the media as the problem, although memorex and tdk do have different manufacturers.